Brakes... Opinions Before the Dealer Visit - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brakes... Opinions Before the Dealer Visit

2002 MT. Close to 150k miles.

Coming up to a stop. Auto-stop kicks in. Car is silent. I apply the brakes lightly. I hear a quiet pop-pop-pop noise come from the back of the car at walking speed an slower. The noise slows and stops with the car. No grinding or other strange sounds. Not sure when it started happening since it only got warm enough in these parts for the auto-stop to be working on a regular basis.

Since no brakes = no noise I figure that’s the issue, but would like more specific opinions so I can sound smarter than I actually am when I visit the stealership.

Watcha think?
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!
Arbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have a small pebble in the groove/tread in one of the rear tires.
At 150K you are probably also due for front pads on the brakes.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

The adjuster arm on your rear drums might also have broke or moved. Happened on mine. They're about $15 and 10 minutes to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Most Gen 1’s don’t need rear brakes until maybe 300-400k miles or more.

I agree with Ecky, there might be some small component that has broken. Also, you are in a part of the country that tends to have rust buildup on some parts. It is not uncommon for the inside edge of the rear drum to get a bit of a rust ring buildup, possibly this is the case. If it has a rust ring it can be hard to remove the drum as they get caught on the shoes.

The dealership is your option, however if there is a good independent shop in your area that does Honda’s you might give them a chance.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks...
Sounding smarter than I am has never been so easy!
I'll update this when there's some sort of conclusion.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

UPDATE - Just got back from the dealer. They “cleaned, lubed, and adjusted rear brakes” for a total of $63. Of that, 55 was labor and 4 was tax.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbus View Post
UPDATE - Just got back from the dealer. They “cleaned, lubed, and adjusted rear brakes” for a total of $63. Of that, 55 was labor and 4 was tax.
Seems reasonable. It's not the hardest job to pull the slider pins out and lube them, to spray cleaner in the drums and add some dry lube for cables, but I think that's not too bad a price.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Labor at the dealership nowdays is probably at 100-150 an hour. Depending on the area you are in. Very reasonable price. Did that cure the noise?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was happy with the charge. They are usually pretty reasonable, if the parts don’t bite you in the rump! Maybe I could’ve done it, but I’m at the point in my life where an hour of aggravation is an hour completely wasted.

And... I got to sit in all the new Hondas which is always fun! They had a very pretty dark red Insight that was tempting. A 2-door civic in an unfortunate yellow-green. No Claritys. “We sell every one we get, but not enough to keep one on the floor. We’d be happy to get one in if you’re serious, but you probably wouldn’t have your choice of colors unless you’re willing to wait.”

The noise is gone. I notice the emergency brake engages a little lower on the pull. Pedal feel remains the same. Money well spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in