Simple IMA Bypass with working A/C. Is it possible? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Simple IMA Bypass with working A/C. Is it possible?

I have been searching through here forever trying to get a clear answer to this question.
No luck.

I am waiting on the parts to my grid charger to arrive and would like for this vehicle to be operational for the time being. All of my other vehicles get less than 20mpg, this one gets 42 in it's current condition.

Unfortunately, no A/C means non operational in my book.

So anyways, is it possible to retain the A/C when doing a simple IMA bypass(no arduino)?

As always, thanks in advance!
Sumdumguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

A/C and IMA have nothing to do with one another. If your A/C isn't working, it's an issue with the A/C.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
A/C and IMA have nothing to do with one another. If your A/C isn't working, it's an issue with the A/C.
I've read that. But, my A/C is bone chillingly cold right now and when the IMA was disconnected the compressor wouldn't kick on.

I'll do the IMA disconnect again and see if maybe it was just a fluke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
ECU controls a/c compressor clutch on or off.

If you simply flip the switch to off in the IMA battery, ECU might keep the a/c compressor off for reason we, as users, do not understand.

I experienced A/C not working when the IMA battery switch is turned off and A/C working again when the IMA battery switch is turned on even with the IMA/CEL on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumdumguy View Post
So anyways, is it possible to retain the A/C when doing a simple IMA bypass(no arduino)?
Possible? Yes. But it is probably much more work than you are willing to do. Basically you want to turn on the a/c clutch manually, same idea as my A/C cut out project, but in reverse.
https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...ml#post1430003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,

Last edited by tryingbe; 05-21-2019 at 12:08 PM.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay, so I just took it apart and disconnected the BCM and turned the switch off and the A/C did not work.

What happens if the BCM is disconnected and the breaker switch is on?

I don't want to do anything permanent yet, as I would like to retain the IMA system once I fix up the batteries.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumdumguy View Post
What happens if the BCM is disconnected and the breaker switch is on?
I don't know. That's for you to experiment on and let us know.

2000 Insight,
Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

You read my mind.

I flipped it on, tried it out and still nothing.

This little car is going to drive me batty, I love it so much. But it doesn't like me 😛

I may just have to get an Arduino for the heck of it.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

You can add an Arduino to your existing harness and leave the harness reversible easy enough.

There is zero need to cut all wires and connectors off. Solder 7 wires into the Arduino and splice those into the harness, join two set of 2 wires together, cut the white/green wire, and tape up everything and you're done.

I'm not sure why everybody thinks they need to cut all the wires/connectors off and "need to by spare harness" to do this mod.

2000 Insight,

Last edited by tryingbe; 05-21-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll look deeper into it and decide what to do.

I really hope I can keep the IMA system going indefinitely. I would like to keep this car in original working order for posterity. After purchasing it, I realized how rare they were becoming.

I also want to get an electric car, but I'm waiting till they get the battery situation figured out before I drop that kind of money.

>1000 mile range and <30 minutes to charge it up and I'll be a convert. I'm sure we will get there one day, it just needs to hurry up and be that day.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

To my knowledge, the only IMA-related interaction that could keep the AC from turning on is if the 12 volt rail drops too low. However, I've never seen the behavior you describe; my AC continues to work even when the IMA system is completely removed (i.e. slowly discharging the 12 volt battery while driving) and no 'fooler' is installed.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in