Passed on a 54,000 mile CVT - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Passed on a 54,000 mile CVT

At a dealer auction today. Silver 2001 with paint peeling from the roof and moldings. IMA battery dead with CEL on too. Thought I heard the transmission bearing whine when I started it up. Sold for $2200 plus about $200 buy fee to an online bidder.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ouch, I payed less than half that for mine with 84k miles. Just a bit of rash on the front bumper, everything else is pretty nice.

Good pass, I'd say. I want to find a Citrus Manual, with a price that doesn't make my jewish wallet weep. It's proving to be a difficult task!
Sumdumguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would have passed purely because it's a CVT. CVT insights should all be swapped or destroyed.
ADDvanced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
I would have passed purely because it's a CVT. CVT insights should all be swapped or destroyed.
That's a bit short sighted. Some people are married to ladies who can barely drive a car at all. Let alone a manual.

Also, it is sometimes nice, on long journeys, to just push the gas and go.

Also, also, I have never seen a transmission as simple to work on as this cars CVT. There is almost nothing to it. There is something to be said about simplicity.

Anyways, each to their own. But, to say that all of the CVT models should be destroyed is a bit rash.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Exiled from Florida. Crawfordsville, IN. About an hour west of INDY

While I would agree dumping all CVT's would be a little rash. The lure of an automatic. I do understand that some people just cannot drive a stick. I learned when I was 12, taught my daughters after driver's ed and the gal I've been with for 35 years had a MG midget when we met. But yea no one else in her family male or female can do it. At least they'll never ask to borrow your Insight.
jbyoungis@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

As you get much older, you may have the desire to "Become Shiftless" because of medical problems. Kneecaps, strength, etc.
MY Insight is a 5 speed, but my 2007 Fit is an automatic, not CVT, and I drive it mostly in Sport mode so I can shift the gears.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default cvt

I have both CVT and MT and I do like the MT better but.....being in San Francisco traffic I do like the CVT better.
2003 Silver CVT 108k
2005 Silver CVT 261k
bvad8486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
As you get much older, you may have the desire to "Become Shiftless" because of medical problems. Kneecaps, strength, etc.
MY Insight is a 5 speed, but my 2007 Fit is an automatic, not CVT, and I drive it mostly in Sport mode so I can shift the gears.
Had an 07 Fit Sport with the automatic. That was one of the best cars Honda has ever made. It was a hoot to drive, got 32 mpg and could hold more crap than most small SUVs. I embarrassed many "faster cars" on the backroads in that thing! Unfortunately, it was hit in the *** end and totaled...

One of these days I'm going to get another and do a K20 swap. That was always my dream for that car, make it a Type R.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

2nd gen prius > 1g Insight CVT

They get about the same MPG.

CVT insight is slower, no lean burn, not as efficient, less reliable.

Just nope.
ADDvanced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumdumguy View Post
That's a bit short sighted. Some people are married to ladies who can barely drive a car at all. Let alone a manual.
I got the CVT for this very reason. Although I would have preferred a manual with better mpg.
thatdellguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in