New to Insights - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to Insights

Hey guys, I am a new owner of a 2000 Honda Insight 135,000 5-speed. I picked it up for $700 from a guy in the Bronx. He installed a grid charger from Maxx Voltage (cheaper $150 one) but only let it charge for a couple of hours. When I arrived to pick it up it was having issues starting/cranking. After a few more attempts we got it running and I was able to take it for a spin.

Well... The IMA light is ON, and I get no indications that its charging the system. But the car hasn't been used or driven in about 2 years from what he said. Should I just do a "deep" cycle on the battery given that he already installed the grid charger and see what happens from there? I just want to get it in a good driving condition so I can commute back and forth to work, which is about 110 miles each way. Right now I'm averaging 28 MPG with my current car 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. By the way the car is in pretty good condition overall.

I have plenty experience in dealing with cars like changing out CV anxls, wheel bearings, brakes, building motors and such, but I have no idea what to look for with these cars. My background is that I am an electrical engineer so its easy to make sense of these things I just have to understand how they work. I find it easier to have it explained because I can understand that from another persons words rather than "Hondas words"

Any information would be great and thanks for listening!
SgtUSMC2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey, Gunney, welcome aboard. It looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal there. If it were me I would do the three cycles of grid charging. Each with a discharge until the final grid charge. The voltages pf each charge and discharge are posted somewhere on here. If you can't find it email Maxx.

That's a low mileage car. I wonder why the previous owner let it sit for two years? Good luck with it. The folks on here will help you a lot.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Great deal! Welcome! FYI: If the IMA isn't working, then the backup starter should kick in after holding the key in start for a few seconds. Replacing the ground straps (search this forum) is the first troubleshooting step. You should grid charge the pack for much longer than a few hours... read up on this forum on the prescribed cycle. I usually just plug mine in for 24 hours or so (with the battery fan on).
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the "insight". I knew it needed to be charged longer, but the guy I bought it off of didn't know a thing about hybrids. I will grid charge is for 3 deep cycles as well as discharge the first 2. Also, I will search those ground straps because I know how important having a good contact is. Thanks for the INFO! Semper FI!
SgtUSMC2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in