IMA Fan Replacement - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2019, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IMA Fan Replacement

Any tips or suggestions/ links to replacing the fan? Went to grid charge had no noise and stopped. Pulled the cover off playing with the wires the fan would hardly run then stop. Looking for smooth and easy replacement possibly more airflow.
Thank you & by the way your guys rock my 12v died and read the forums to troubleshoot was back on the road shortly.
GrerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Are you sure it is the fan?

If it is not working with a grid charger, what power supply is it using?

Have you tested the fan with a known good 12v power supply?

Wiggling wires and it working a bit indicates some other problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a loose or bad connection.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Thank you

The IMA was replaced & I asked for the grid charger to be rewired in during the process which supposedly it was. When the fan didn't kick on connected to grid charger had to stop until I get the fan running. Yesterday trying to reclip both wires ended in cutting both wires to fan. Now the length is shy so will zip by and get new connectors (& wire). Will using a portable battery jumper substitute for as 12v power supply (learning ...) to power the fan? What I noticed was the thickness of the grid charger wire was 18gauage ish and the fan is like 12 so in the connector ( clip on ) there could have been play= not a great connection. The intermittent on did surprise me so it may just be the wires need a more solid connection. Appreciate the responses.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrerWolf View Post
Any tips or suggestions/ links to replacing the fan? Went to grid charge had no noise and stopped. Pulled the cover off playing with the wires the fan would hardly run then stop. Looking for smooth and easy replacement possibly more airflow.
Thank you & by the way your guys rock my 12v died and read the forums to troubleshoot was back on the road shortly.
What voltage do you read on the 12v output of the charger with the charger harness not connected to the charger vs when it is connected to the charger?

What is the current rating of the 12v fan supply in the charger?

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default IMA Fan & rewired it more of the same

I rewired the fan & connected the grid charger and pretty much more of the same.
The fan would intermittently run for a very short time frame.

If i hit the top of the fan it would sometimes run if I spun the fan same and other times would try to go but its like something inside is holding it back.

I called Walnut Creek Honda and they want $225 for a new fan & four days to deliver.

I am thinking to either swing by Fry's and snag a computer fan and see if it runs hooked up are there specs & sizes in a thread others have used?

Is there a thread for replacing the fan and or upgrading it?
The grid charger showed 385 when connected.

Thank you in advance
Old 06-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default PM

Sent you a PM about a fan unit.
2003 Silver CVT 108k
2005 Silver CVT 261k
bvad8486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just replaced mine yesterday at the Mid-Atlantic Maintenance day. These fans do go bad. When I had the covers off the IMA compartment, I hooked up the old fan directly to 12v, just to be sure it wasn't a connection problem. The fan jittered a few times, then stopped.

For what it's worth, here's the fan I replaced it with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400949545920

Any replacement you buy is going to need some cutting and filing to fit in the fan shroud. A Dremel is handy for this.
LowCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrerWolf View Post
I rewired the fan & connected the grid charger and pretty much more of the same.
The fan would intermittently run for a very short time frame.

If i hit the top of the fan it would sometimes run if I spun the fan same and other times would try to go but its like something inside is holding it back.

I called Walnut Creek Honda and they want $225 for a new fan & four days to deliver.

I am thinking to either swing by Fry's and snag a computer fan and see if it runs hooked up are there specs & sizes in a thread others have used?

Try running any higher current rated computer fan that you have on the grid charger 12 volt power supply. If a computer fan doesn't run then the grid charger is the problem. Make sure the polarity is correct.

Is there a thread for replacing the fan and or upgrading it?

Google & youtube search is the place to start. And you'll get a preview of the mods you have to do to a normal fan to use in the IMA.

The grid charger showed 385 when connected.

385 WHAT? Amps, volts, resistance????

Thank you in advance
You are just repeating your bruit force method of trying to get it to run apparently without doing any testing to answering the critical fan voltage/current readings.

You will find modifying a high current fan to fit in the IMA battery shroud to not be an easy and quick job. And some of them ended up sounding like "leaf blowers".

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default IMA fan reply

Appreciate the thoughts.

My multimeter had a ripped wire so ordered a new one = couldn't get a read.

I have a local source for a used IMA fan.

385 was what the grid charger was putting out connected showing zero not connected.

Appreciate the tip with checking if its the grid charger didn't think about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in