Over 360k on her and she's getting tired. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Over 360k on her and she's getting tired.

I have an 01 manual and she has just over 365000 miles on her. The I'ma died and soon I'll rebuild but the trans is my main issue. It makes noise when the clutch is engaged and I was trying to find someone who rebuilds them. Also, I'm in need of a good site to get engine bearings so I can rebuild the engine when the trans is being done. I want her to hit a million miles.
Serge53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge53 View Post
It makes noise when the clutch is engaged and I was trying to find someone who rebuilds them.
likely just the throwout bearing, you'll have a new one with your clutch kit. Add your location to your profile, and someone local to you might get in touch - or contact Scott - aka KLR3CYL who is the residential G1 transmission expert.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ty ty ty. The funny thing is when I got the car I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing. Also the CV axles,pain in the butt to find good ones and I worked at a parts store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Ty ty ty. The funny thing is when I got the car I replaced the clutch and throw out bearing. Also the CV axles,pain in the butt to find good ones and I worked at a parts store.
I got new ones from O'Riley's, and have kept a few spare pairs for "just in case". Now that I'm down to a single G1, it seems like a waste of storage space.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm in need of a good site to get engine bearings so I can rebuild the engine when the trans is being done.
You can rebuild the engine but have to send out the transmission? Transmission a lot easier to rebuild than the engine.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

It may be easy to rebuild but I want all the fancy stuffs the guru's know how to do done to it, you know the stuff idiots like me mess up.however a k swap isn't too far off the total cost of fixing everything.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Quote:
It may be easy to rebuild but I want all the fancy stuffs the guru's know how to do done to it, you know the stuff idiots like me mess up.however a k swap isn't too far off the total cost of fixing everything.
While true, it's also going to be twice as expensive as you expect. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live near 7 u pull and pay junk yards, any motor with all acc on it is like $190, and I've built cars out of them for about a grand or less. Also you find allot of performance parts on the cars. I'm not saying it will be cheap but it won't cost an arm and a leg. How much did some of you guys ended up spending for the swap?
Old 05-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Depends on what you want. Mine was a low miles (<40k) engine, magnesium 6 speed completely rebuilt, custom final drive, new taller 6th gear. I needed wiring harnesses, chipped ECU, a fuel pressure regulator, different radiator fan, different shifter, different shift cables, a bunch of sensors, different throttle body, alternator, water pump. I added a new VTC gear, different cams, new oil pump. Hasport provided mounts and axles. You could maybe do it for 40% of the maybe $16,000 I have into mine so far, but you'll also have a lot of high mileage parts.

Edit: plus completely new exhaust, including muffler, resonator, catalyst.

Last edited by Ecky; 05-31-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Ecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just curious...for those that kswap, Iíve heard a lot of people donít do it themselves. I guess that would add up quickly in addition to the list of parts needed. The moment Brian makes cvt mounts Iím swapping. Making power and good mpgs comparable to cvt? Priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saxjonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in