Rust-bucket Insight. Run away? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rust-bucket Insight. Run away?

I'm looking at an Insight that spent a significant amount of time in the salty mid-west. Everything that is made of iron is rusting. There is evidence of both fuel and brake lines being patched. Suspension bits, engine bits, everything is rusty.

The car needs a bunch of other work to make it nice, most of which doesn't concern me (apart from the cost). Anyone with experience with a car like this? Should I run away or not be too concerned?

Here's a lousy picture. Not sure if the link will work.

https://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_...E_1200x900.jpg

Thanks.
mikemo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Exiled from Florida. Crawfordsville, IN. About an hour west of INDY

Considering you have to travel to get it or have it shipped. Do you know if it can make the trip? If it's salty midwest then your looking at probably 1k miles each way. I sent you a pm with some Insights in Florida.
This is a member's Beautiful car, from of all places the salty Mid-west. It's a gem for sure.
https://madison.craigslist.org/cto/6888496174.html
Happy Hunting

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-31-2019 at 08:21 AM.
jbyoungis@gmail.com is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Um. No offense intended here, but you are just seeing some iron oxide on the heads of the bolts. That is not a big deal at all.

The insight is aluminum. It doesn't corrode. I purchased my car SPECIFICALLY because it won't ever rust out, or, if it does, it will take decades.

Yes, fuel lines and brake lines are steel, and can rust, but I coat mine with Boshield T9 every year to help protect them.

You are coming across as someone who is super ignorant about cars, has only leased brand new cars, and sees some slight surface rust on the heads of bolts as a 'rusty' car.

If that is a rusty car, I would hate for you to come to Wisco and see what WE call rusty cars. This is not a rusty car imho.
ADDvanced is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

$2500 car.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...895693085.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,
tryingbe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Exiled from Florida. Crawfordsville, IN. About an hour west of INDY

Um, no I've never leased a car and I understand what an Insight is. I've nut and bolt restored cars and replaced all kinds of rusty steel parts under a car, straighten and repaired frames. I used to work on beach cars in Florida and grew up in Indiana so I know what corrosion looks looks like. It's a lot of work. I guess my point was why travel when you can find one locally, with possibly fewer corrosion issues. I've only ever purchased 2 brand new cars in my life. I saw the slight corrosion on the crappy picture, but you could also be looking at fuel lines braked lines rear suspension, front suspension. I will FREELY admit everyone on this site knows more than I on this car. I had 2 thru my dealerships and now I'm interested in having one and researching all I can. But I'll throw down with anyone on automotive knowledge. I appreciate we all are entitled to our opinion. Offense taken. Check my profile, which is what you should've done before throwing me under the bus.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-31-2019 at 10:08 AM.
jbyoungis@gmail.com is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to the OP. Calm your tits.
ADDvanced is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sometimes it is beneficial to name the person the conversation is directed to at the begining of the post. It keeps the anger down a little.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Of course the body is aluminum and plastic. However, every bolt is steel, every screw, every line, suspension parts, etc. I was looking for advice from someone who had direct experience with this type of car. That's all.

This car has already had failures in the fuel and brake lines. Use that as a metric for how rusty it is. The ABS module is covered in flaky rust. What I could see of the rear suspension arms were rusty. Other engine accessories were heavily rusted (what was perhaps a timing chain tensioner? Front pass. side of engine). This wasn't just some surface rust on some bolts.

Saying "no offense" before insulting someone by calling them "super ignorant" does not make it better.
mikemo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

@jbyoungis

ADDvanced, like to come on forum and spout bad information, consider himself some type of expert and plagiarize information to try to make himself appear like he knows how to do things when he does not.

He had a problem with his car and it took him almost 2 years to read the codes and post them. He couldnít understand how a code for a temperature sending unit could cause all the problems. I posted why and the fix, not really for him, but to help all the other members of the forum. I explained how difficult the access was to the sending unit, he said he knew where it was located. Later he came back on here and whines about how hard it was to access.

In another post, regarding body repair he told someone they didnít know what they were doing about body repair. He posted quite a comprehensive post about the body and paint process. I read it and thought wow, thatís pretty spot on. Iíve been doing body and paint repair now for about 37 years, Iím ASE Certified in body, paint, frame and a few other areas. Later, ADD got a new compressor and posted asking questions about painting his car and did he need to use primer?
It was obvious he had plagiarized information from somewhere else.

Any posts from ADD need to be considered as bad advise or misinformation.

jbyoungis, please continue to contribute to the form. Your experiences from working in the business are valuable to the others here.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
KLR3CYL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

That car is no more worse than the one I own from the picture. The major issues you will run into is having to go SLOW with taking the bolts out and you will have to replace a bunch of them. The steel bolts will be locked into the aluminum parts so you will need to walk the bolts out instead of just pulling them out. Erm be mindful of the knock sensor it brakes if someone near you farts. It's easy to build brake line and cheap to do fuel lines. If you can change a brake caliper, you can do those repairs easily. If you have never built brake lines ask for a roll of the copper brake line, it's more forgiving than the steel line by far but twice as expensive. You can rent the brake line tool from any parts store. Fuel lines can use brake line just match the size or the 6is dollar a foot fuel injection line just make sure you secure it. Having that said if it's mechanicly sound ish, and it's not to expensive I'd do it. YouTube how to build the lines and take about 4 two inch pices of the roll and practice first.
Serge53 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in