Insight Ownership - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Insight Ownership

This Insight ownership business can sometimes be a significant challenge. I bought mine 1 year ago, only got 46 mpg (mixed driving) on my last tank fill up today. The computer said 56. I got 59 (computer ) on the way home with the wrong tires and a dirty EGR plate and valve, but I had Virginia Sunoco 93. The difference was very apparent 5 minutes after filling up. I could more easily get into lean burn mode and stay there longer. Cross checking the mileage numbers gallons pumped and odometer miles only varied by 1-3 mpg. I don’t usually need the AC.

With a 10.8:1 compression ratio, running with 87 or 89 should cut down efficiency and MPGs. That high compression ratio, is a purposeful choice by Honda to increase efficiency. Most automobile engines have a significantly lower compression ratio and the MPG will not improve with Premium fuel.

I have installed the RE92s and had the EGR System cleaned. I have used a can of Sea-foam. The engine runs smooth, but about 5 times an hour, it hesitates once on the highway. Not sure if this is normal going in and out of lean burn?! Or if this is being caused by a incorrect O2 sensor? At this point, I’m not sure if I have made any real net gain! I will have the valve lash readjusted and the correct upstream O2 sensor changed in 10 days. And my Mechanic will check for error codes. Then, if I can’t get 60mph on trips, I am out of ideas to try, GAME OVER!

As I said in the other threads, the previous owner’s maintenance records show 2 dealer visits for Diagnostics and Intake flushing, in a months time. With the Lifetime [email protected], I don’t think the Dealer had any idea what the problem was. I was told by a Technician at a local Dealership, “If we can’t pull a code, we can’t help you with MPG issues”! I’m willing and eager to go the “extra mile,” to conquer this problem(s), but I’m running out of ammo!!

What do you all think?
Imamatthews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think. I went through this stuff with my first Insight. While the car has to be in proper operating condition, this isn't the complete answer. The answer is YOU. When you learn to drive the car everything will fall into place. Mileage is more about the driver and driving conditions than it is the car.

A properly tuned Insight doesn't get better fuel mileage on Premium.

Fix stuff one thing at a time.

Get an OBDIIC&C gauge so you can monitor things and know when you're REALLY in lean burn.

Compare day-to-day sections of your daily commute using the FCD to measure. Figure out what works. Sometimes it is very subtle.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine

Last edited by Rainsux; 06-08-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thanks for your info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

As a long time owner and a sometimes hyperiler(see signature), don't be fooled by all this talk of super high MPG numbers. People who are getting 90-110 MPG are doing it with some very special driving techniques. Those who can get 120 MPG are doing the "no holds barred sacrifice of all creature comfort routine, i.e. no A/C at at 90F, tires at 80psi, FASing a lot, driving very slow, etc. Frequently they are driving level ground and just brag about hot weather numbers (the car loves hot weather). In western Maine, you are suffering a handicap that others don't face - temperature. The best MPG numbers are set on hot days. On average, you have fewer of those than most owners. In most of the country, the difference between summer and winter is tremendous, so your generally cool weather is hurting you. Your winters are MPG killers!

When the car had a lifetime combined fuel economy of 53.6 it was actually .6 better than the EPA (53combined, 49 city, 61 highway), so the dealer didn't think there was anything wrong with the car!

Here are a few lessons I learned from others, in rough priority:
1. Nothing hypes MPG quicker than using a FAS circuit, shutting the engine off when opportunity arrises.
2. Slowing down helps. If in no hurry and under no pressure, 32 mpg in 5th has alway been a sweet spot. If you are trying to get somewhere, 52-54 in 5th is also a good spot.
3. Use high air pressures. 55-60psi is pretty common for folks who fixate on mpg. For competition, I have used 80psi.
4. As rainsux says, technique is very important. Try to use a "locked knee" stability on the accelerator. Keep an eye on the fuel consumption gauge. Try to drive so that it is as stable as possible and doesn't jump around.
5. Get in/stay in Lean Burn as much as possible. When in LB, try to stretch it as much as possible, even letting the car lose a couple of MPH on slight hills. The higher load you can maintain in LB, the better.

The best fuel is 87 octane, w/o alcohol if available. Direct comparisons to other cars compression ratio is a trap. The Insight head is designed for high compression on 87 octane. When you go to 93 octane you are substituting antiknock additives for the energy producing part of the gasoline. If you read widely on the subject, you will find this a uniform opinion.

+1 on everything rainsux says.

Get an OBDII C&C gauge so you have a positive indication of LB. It also has all sorts of other advantage which I leave to other threads.

After you have the gauge, go out on a good isolated, reasonably level stretch of road and practice. Find out what works and doesn't work. We have all fought this battle. When you get some of those 80-90F days you will get some number up where other hypermilers are residing
Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thank you so much for your input; it takes time to learn all you just gave me. As for the EPA ratings, I’m a little confused. In the document file I got with the car, I have the original EPA window sticker; it is 60/66mpg!
Old 06-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Here is the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E0B370A9-A73C-4880-BB77-2D16820B7CB7_1560033106114.jpg (136.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I would be satisfied to get 60 mpg at 90 degrees, on the Flat-Lander’s highway.

Then it would all be slicker than a fresh cow pattie, in the middle of a black tar road, on a hot summer day!

WOW 💰💎
Old 06-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

And please have no doubt, I will get the OMBII C&C.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Check that please! I meant the OBDII C&C
Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Fwiw

I have a 2001 MT. Last year I was getting in the mid-50's for MPG. That was up from the low-50"s I was getting with Michelins. The Bridgestone RE92's added about 5 MPG. This year I am getting in the low to mid-60's. The difference? Nothing in the hardware or software. But I have had more practice in economical driving. I run 0W-20 Mobil 1 Extended Service, 38# front, 35# rear. I use my foot to caress the gas pedal. You'll get the good numbers as you drive your Insight more.

Cheers
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in