Windshield replacement NorCal - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Windshield replacement NorCal

Anyone know of a good place to get a 1st Gen windshield replaced in NorCal (within about 50 miles of Sacramento)? I've got a huge crack in mine and need it replaced, but don't really trust folks who aren't familiar with the car (e.g seat belt leak point).

Alternatively, a full start to end DIY video with parts list and a place to buy a windshield would be cool as well. I've been searching but haven't found the glass.

I've also seen the list of needed clips here, but can't help the feeling there are other parts needed (sealant?).

Thanks in advance.

RP
Psyop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I donít think replacing a windshield is very DIY.

There are a few specialty tools and techniques and supplies that take some investment, for something you do how often? There are special glass knives, scrapers to trim the urethane, suction cups to handle the glass, power caulk gun to get the bead of urethane even, primer for bare metal, portable stand to ready the new glass, etc. Even down to transporting the new glass to the car, do you have a rack or a vehicle big enough to get it there with out breaking it? Most glass guys or companies have trucks or vans to transport it and the tools to the job.

Cutting a windshield can be tricky, difficult and dangerous. Use a glass knife requires a fair amount of strength and control. Normally you have to get the hook blade started under the glass and then with two hands you control the handle and with the other hand pull toward yourself. If you slip, you take the chance of gouging the paint on your car or worse, smashing yourself in the face.

Getting the old urethane cut down correctly and the new bead set at the proper thickness is a bit of an art. If you think a good old fashioned caulking gun is sufficient you may be in for a surprise.

Iíve been in the auto repair business in some aspect for more than 35 years,
I donít do my own glass. I suggest in most cases you use a glass professional.

I do recommend if you are capable to remove the mouldings yourself do so. I have made the YouTube videos of removal and reinstallation. I also stock, sell and ship all the necessary clips.

Not everyone may agree with me. In another thread not long ago, a forum member suggested that you could go hang out at the glass warehouse in your local area and offer glass guys an extra $20.00 if they would get you a windshield at there price. How about you just let a professional make a living once in a while.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Safelite did mine 210.00 lifetime warrnty
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda hybrid442 View Post
Which is reasonable.

You would need to check with them if they supply the clips. You would possibly be better doing the mouldings yourself and still have them do the glass.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I get the windshields from Mygrant Glass for $96 but they won't sell direct to the public. Maybe offer someone at a glass shop $20 to pick one up for you. Add $10 for two tubes of adhesive, $15 for the upper molding, $10 for a mirror mount. Then you will need the clips for the side moldings. I've done a few windshields and the Insight is fairly straightforward but I have $2,000 in glass tools. Sure you could get one out with a $20 old school cold knife but that is a lot of physical effort.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda hybrid442 View Post
Holy cow that's cheap. I just got a quote from an independent import place today and they wanted 440. Too much, imo, which you just proved. Haha

Appreciate everyone's feedback.

If I can get safelite to do the glass for about 250 then, without a doubt, I'll do that.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good on you. You will be letting a legitimate business make a profit instead of trying to cheat them out of it with an under the table deal.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 02:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Good on you. You will be letting a legitimate business make a profit instead of trying to cheat them out of it with an under the table deal.

Sam
Not following. What's the under the table deal being referenced? Are you referring to having someone buy just the glass for me so I can do the work myself?

Wouldn't be under the table if it's purchased "over the counter". 🙃

That said, I'm not a fan of closed parts ecosystems, having found too many instances of "dealer only" parts availability thwarting my ability to repair my own stuff (most recently on my motorhome), which is why I also support "right to repair" legislation.

One way or another I'll get the repair done (by my hand or someone else's) without also getting taken on the price.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyop View Post
Not following. What's the under the table deal being referenced? Are you referring to having someone buy just the glass for me so I can do the work myself?

Wouldn't be under the table if it's purchased "over the counter". 🙃

That said, I'm not a fan of closed parts ecosystems, having found too many instances of "dealer only" parts availability thwarting my ability to repair my own stuff (most recently on my motorhome), which is why I also support "right to repair" legislation.

One way or another I'll get the repair done (by my hand or someone else's) without also getting taken on the price.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Exactly. You're cheating the seller if you get an employee to buy it for you. See Post #5.
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 05:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learner

Here's what you should do.

Remove the pillar moldings yourself. To do that, you should watch's KLR3CYL/Scott's video on removing the pillar moldings.

This is the only proven method to remove the moldings without damaging them.

You are going to need new clips. They are going to cost you about $20 per side. Buy them from Scott. His price is very reasonable.

After you have removed the moldings, have a professional windshield installer install a new windshield on your car.

Before you reinstall the pillar moldings, you should do the wet seat-belt fix. Watch this video of Scott's to learn more.

Bull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in