Time to let go? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Time to let go?

Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble with my gen1 '06 Insight's IMA, and unfortunately I don't have the time/money/energy/know how to fix it. So I'm thinking about letting it go. Any advice about the best way to sell it? I would like to give it to someone who will love it as much as I have! I'm in the Midwest if any of you are interested in it!
insightchick27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Probably the IMA battery is finished. There are easy ways to bypass the battery and run without it, but there will be warning lights on the dash. You can ignore them if you don't have pollution inspection. The acceleration will be pretty slow.

There are also ways to turn off the warning lights but that requires some electrical wiring and minor computer skills.

How many miles and what condition? What is your state.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's not a bad idea but I don't think I want to do that. I will have to pass an emmissions test eventually and it is crazy slow without the IMA.

I live in Illinois. 114,000 miles. Condition is otherwise pretty good. It's got it's issues (I can detail them if you're interested in it) but it's clean and doesn't have any other mechanical problems. It's also red which I've heard is rare for the '06!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you tried a grid charging cycle of three charges and two discharges?
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Miles are fairly low but you don't mention if it's a stick or automatic. If it looks and runs nice otherwise, expect to get in the $1500 range +/- a few hundred.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a grid charger but not a discharger. The charger worked great at first but now it won't hold a charge for more than a couple days.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't personally need another Insight, I have three. But, 114,000 is pretty low mileage and would probably be attractive to some member. Pictures are worth a 1000 words. You could list it down in the buy/sell area of the forum, with some pictures, description and an asking price. Heck, folks even buy the high mileage ones, so yours should sell.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Miles are fairly low but you don't mention if it's a stick or automatic. If it looks and runs nice otherwise, expect to get in the $1500 range +/- a few hundred.
It's automatic. That's kind of what I was thinking too. Hopefully to another Insight fan.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
I don't personally need another Insight, I have three. But, 114,000 is pretty low mileage and would probably be attractive to some member. Pictures are worth a 1000 words. You could list it down in the buy/sell area of the forum, with some pictures, description and an asking price. Heck, folks even buy the high mileage ones, so yours should sell.
Ok thanks! I will try that!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightchick27 View Post
I have a grid charger but not a discharger. The charger worked great at first but now it won't hold a charge for more than a couple days.
A discharger can be made from a lightbulb. But I am not the guy to guide you through this. I have the grid charger and discharger boxes to do it for me because I am just not savvy enough to not screw it up. I'd hope there is someone in your area who can at least try this to see how bad your IMA really is. If the Prolong package can do it for you you could consider that as an option. https://hybridautomotive.com/ Many folks besides me use these and swear by them. Hopefully someone local to you can run your Insight through the charge-discharge cycles and see what happens.

It would be a shame to let go of the car if the problem can be solved this easily.

Cheers
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in