How much should I sell Citrus Green Metallic for? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much should I sell Citrus Green Metallic for?

So it's finally time to sell The Green Hornet. I think she has around 145,000. My brother's been driving her, so I'll have to get the exact mileage. We bought her with 60,000.
Aside from a shopping cart dent on the quarter panel (hey better to see what you get rather than question the repair!), she pretty darn nice, usually garaged.
Factory A/C car. Also has factory dealer installed rear speakers, leather steering wheel from an S2000.
Battery was replaced under warranty at 70,000 miles. Didn't really need to, but I had friends at Honda dealership at the time and they made it happen, just to be fresh .
Also has a harness for the battery pack.
What should I sell her for?
thanks guys!
greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Almost impossible to say from this limited information. Prices vary widely depending on mileage and condition. Show some pictures, you'll need them anyway. Interior shots. Lots of exterior shots. Does the battery do recals. Does it require resets. Details?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

At 145K it's not far off before the transmission ISB starts getting noisy and it starts to grind on down shifts. $1500 repair. Replacement battery probably on its last legs. $2000-2500. Paint and body repair. $1000+. A set of the correct tires, $400. No mention of maintenance. Plugs, filters, coolant change, valve adjustment, EGR plate cleaning, transmission fluid change, brakes, etc. $1000+. Could be worth $2,000 or could be $5,000. Need more details.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
At 145K it's not far off before the transmission ISB starts getting noisy and it starts to grind on down shifts. $1500 repair. Replacement battery probably on its last legs. $2000-2500. Paint and body repair. $1000+. A set of the correct tires, $400. No mention of maintenance. Plugs, filters, coolant change, valve adjustment, EGR plate cleaning, transmission fluid change, brakes, etc. $1000+. Could be worth $2,000 or could be $5,000. Need more details.

Jeez, you sound like a party pooper. I said it was nice, did you think I was lying? Other than a small dent scrape on the passenger side, it's looks like a well taken care of car with 125,000 on it. Your list looks like you assume it's a hooptie. I took great care of this car, always OEM parts. Yes, I've replaced air, cabins filters. Same with coolant, spark plugs, regular 3,000 mile oil changes. When the slave cylinder went bad, OE slave and while I'm at it master cylinder. Brakes have been bled. No grinding on down shifts. EGR plate has been cleaned. New gaskets there when I did that as well.
Maybe I should just put it on ebay then, please do not bid.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Atikovi is pretty knowledgeable about these cars. Check his posts. Suppose he is right?
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Atikovi is pretty knowledgeable about these cars. Check his posts. Suppose he is right?
You (both) may very be right. But it's also a decent car that runs fine and gets 60 mpg. I could stick it on CL for $2,000 and I bet sell it in a day. So when it's insinuated that's it's little better than a parts car and the fact that unfortunately there are a lot of cheapskates pretending to be enthusiasts with these cars puts one on the defensive...
Old 06-15-2019, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Variance

As I research pricing on 1st generation Insights; there is no
consistency due to what is a 20 year old car.

I've noticed that geography plays a part, for example Insights
in Colorado are approximately 3x higher than Florida or South
Carolina. I do not know your market area values.

To Insighters the Citrus is highly desireable, but to the rest of
the world it is a green honda 2 door.

I'm sure you have a price that you feel it is worth. Price it at
that and see if it sells in your timeline. Ultimately what someone
is willing to pay will be what it is worth.
10-A-SEE ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Location: Exiled from Florida. Crawfordsville, IN. About an hour west of INDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhornet View Post
Jeez, you sound like a party pooper. I said it was nice, did you think I was lying? Other than a small dent scrape on the passenger side, it's looks like a well taken care of car with 125,000 on it. Your list looks like you assume it's a hooptie. I took great care of this car, always OEM parts. Yes, I've replaced air, cabins filters. Same with coolant, spark plugs, regular 3,000 mile oil changes. When the slave cylinder went bad, OE slave and while I'm at it master cylinder. Brakes have been bled. No grinding on down shifts. EGR plate has been cleaned. New gaskets there when I did that as well.
Maybe I should just put it on ebay then, please do not bid.
I really don't think Atikovi was calling you a liar. Any used car is possibly due for most if not all of what he has listed. And yes without pictures or history we have to figure the things we would do to any used car purchased could be due on this one. You satisfied some of that with your response. A range of 2k to 5k isn't bad. When you get your list together of repair history and pictures on condition I'm sure you'll be somewhere in the middle. You also gotta realize you're talking to a bunch of Insight junkies, some of them have had their "little gems" spread out all over their garages. Good luck if you decide to sell.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-15-2019 at 07:07 AM.
jbyoungis@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
So it's finally time to sell The Green Hornet. I think she has around 145,000.
Quote:
Jeez, you sound like a party pooper. I said it was nice, did you think I was lying? Other than a small dent scrape on the passenger side, it's looks like a well taken care of car with 125,000 on it.
Not trying to be a party pooper but since you didn't put any details in your original post and don't seem to even know the mileage (first 145K, now 125K) I put a range between $2000 and $5000. Have you had paint or bodywork done on a car lately? On an aluminum car? Good luck spending less than $1000 on even a small repair like that. And those Honda replacement batteries seem to have knack for going out after just 3 or 4 years.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

One of the problems you'll have with IC members are that they are very knowledgeable and they KNOW what goes wrong with these 20 year old cars. Atikovi is as good or better than any at evaluating the current market. It is a tough place to sell a car. You might be better off selling on CL of eBay.

For $2000, I'd want pictures. For $5000, I'd want to see and drive the car. I't the truth, not BS, on my part.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in