Door run channels - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Door run channels

Okay, let's see how clearly I can describe this: on my '01 5M, the rubber that sits against the bottom of the door windows has "perished" (in Brit-speak) and I want to replace them. This is NOT the metal part that was originally flat black but is now mostly chrome. But they may be connected.

When I've tried to look this up in the hondapartsonline.com (Majestic) catalog, I can never seem to find the part I'm talking about. Maybe that's why today, when I took the car in to Roswell Honda and they could see what I see, they ID'd the part as the door run channel.

Yet, when I look that up online, it shows me a channel that wraps around the *other* 3 edges of the glass (both sides and the top)...with nothing on the lower surface that would provide the rubber "squeegie" edge when the window goes up and down.

Are they right about this? And, if they are, is there actually enough labor in this task to justify a $550 estimate when said door run channels cost about $62 each?
xqqqme is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqqqme View Post
Okay, let's see how clearly I can describe this: on my '01 5M, the rubber that sits against the bottom of the door windows has "perished" (in Brit-speak) and I want to replace them. This is NOT the metal part that was originally flat black but is now mostly chrome. But they may be connected.

When I've tried to look this up in the hondapartsonline.com (Majestic) catalog, I can never seem to find the part I'm talking about. Maybe that's why today, when I took the car in to Roswell Honda and they could see what I see, they ID'd the part as the door run channel.

Yet, when I look that up online, it shows me a channel that wraps around the *other* 3 edges of the glass (both sides and the top)...with nothing on the lower surface that would provide the rubber "squeegie" edge when the window goes up and down.

Are they right about this? And, if they are, is there actually enough labor in this task to justify a $550 estimate when said door run channels cost about $62 each?
Looking in the catalog, I think this is what you are looking for (granted, I have not ordered one so YMMV):

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...g--door-panels

See #21, #22, #27.

The "squeegie" is bonded to the sill (#21, #22). You need five or six of the weatherstripping clips per door (#27).

How to get it off without destroying the door or the old sill or old clips? I don't know. I have one here that I pulled off a junkyard Insight. The junkyard Insight's door was trashed so I had no qualms trashing it more to get the sill out relatively intact with most of the clips. If someone knows how to get these sills out without trashing the sill or the door, please let us know. I'd like to install the spare I got and repaint the other on the car.

Seal, R Front Door Sill (Lower)
72435-S3Y-003
SEAL, R. FR. DOOR SILL (LOWER)

Seal, L Front Door Sill (Lower)
72475-S3Y-003
SEAL, L. FR. DOOR SILL (LOWER)

Clip A, Door Weatherstrip
91530-SP1-003
Old 06-26-2019, 01:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Learner

Are you talking about the belt molding?

Edit: Part Numbers:

Molding Assembly, R Front Door: 72410-S3Y-003
Molding Assembly, L Front Door: 72450-S3Y-003

These moldings come with the clips you need. No additional purchase necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bull Dog; 06-26-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Bull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yup! Those are the parts and that's the process! Thanks, both of you!

It wasn't until I took a good hard look at that molding (along with a tip from Rainsux) that I realized the rubber squeegie part of my moldings (the part against the glass) is actually good...it's kind of a black "lip" that's bonded to the metal that had started to chip away. (That's in addition to all the black coating that had started to come off long ago to progressively turn the molding from flat black to stainless steel!)
Old 06-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
eq1

So, which parts do you actually buy? The ones sean posted, #21/22, don't look or sound quite right to me ("door sill, lower"?). I searched for "belt molding" but didn't find anything. I browsed some more and found this 'weatherstripping' that looks closer to what's needed, though still it's not crystal clear from the name and diagrams... https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...RzJms9MQ%3D%3D

hmm, this one doesn't look right either. It looks more like it's attached to the door panel, plus it's called "inner"...

Last edited by eq1; 06-26-2019 at 05:15 PM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learner

I edited my above post, but I'll put it here for reference too.

Part Numbers:

Molding Assembly, R Front Door: 72410-S3Y-003
Molding Assembly, L Front Door: 72450-S3Y-003

These moldings come with the clips you need. No additional purchase necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bull Dog; 06-26-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Bull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
eq1

Thanks Bull Dog...
Old 06-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all that info! To tell you the truth, what threw me about the Honda parts catalog was calling that piece a "sill"...and while that could've been a window sill or a door sill, the fact that the page is about the door and, in combination with the word "lower," I just couldn't escape the idea that it was a sill strip for the lower part of the door.

The guy in the video that Bull Dog provided (and apologies, Bull Dog, if that's you and I just didn't make the connection) calls them "belt mouldings" which, if you ask me, is a much more logical term for them.

But, hey, now I know!
Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

And now, come to find out, I was right all along to be skeptical that the parts shown as "Seal, front door sill, lower" were what I was after. Thanks to Bull Dog we have the SKU to find what is, sure enough, a "molding assembly".
Old 06-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Iím the handsome fellow in the video 😀. A major part of my life in the auto repair business has been body shop related. Any parts guy here in the U.S. should know what a belt moulding is if you ask.

Some of the parts in the Honda catalogue donít always make sense. I often wonder if it has to do with the translation?

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
KLR3CYL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in