Window Film - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2019, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Window Film

Haha! Searching for ceramic window tint to cut down on the greenhouse effect I ran across this! Look at the customer pics....

https://vvividshop.com/collections/w...nt=33778038481
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
Haha! Searching for ceramic window tint to cut down on the greenhouse effect I ran across this! Look at the customer pics....
Two things from personal experience:
1. The cerramic window film will not lower the interior temperature of an Insight. I fell for this notion and had film installed. I did tests of two identical Insights, one with film - one without, parked parallel to each other. The interior temperature of the two was nearly identical. Apparently, sun heats the film which heats the glass, which heats the car. After a couple of hours in the sun, you can lay your hand on the film covered glass and definitely feel it is hotter than the clear glass. I recommend reflective window shades, or a silvered car cover.

2. Most states set limits on how dark the film can be. Be sure you understand your state law. If it is too dark, it is an open invitation to be stopped by the police.

A final observation, from the number of crappy film jobs one sees on the streets it seems clear that it is hard to install correctly. If you want it to look good, hire a professional or do a lot of reading on how to do it right.

Looks great on a Citrus, but totally ineffective in controlling interior heat
Old 06-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
I did tests of two identical Insights, one with film - one without, parked parallel to each other. The interior temperature of the two was nearly identical. Apparently, sun heats the film which heats the glass, which heats the car. After a couple of hours in the sun, you can lay your hand on the film covered glass and definitely feel it is hotter than the clear glass. I recommend reflective window shades, or a silvered car cover.
I remember debating someone about this. Instead of heating stuff in the car which heats the car you heat the tint which heats the air in the car and the glass through MECHANICAL contact (atoms shaking atoms, to put it visually.)

I wonder how much cooler a car with a white or silvery mylar "emergency blanket" draped over everything in the back (leaving the rear view unobstructed, for example, to reduce heat load while driving somewhere with a lot of sunshine) would be over a car without said sheet.

Last edited by *sean*; 06-29-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: brevity is better
*sean* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

If only one could chrome wrap windows without annoying the heck out of everyone on the road lol.

Although of all the cars I've been in, the Insight stays the coolest for some reason. Maybe some factory coating on the windows that helps? Even the Prius, which has some sort of factory coating, isn't any cooler than my Civic was, but the Insight stays relatively cool inside compared to other cars. No tint or anything.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
1. The cerramic window film will not lower the interior temperature of an Insight. I fell for this notion and had film installed. I did tests of two identical Insights, one with film - one without, parked parallel to each other. The interior temperature of the two was nearly identical. Apparently, sun heats the film which heats the glass, which heats the car. After a couple of hours in the sun, you can lay your hand on the film covered glass and definitely feel it is hotter than the clear glass. I recommend reflective window shades, or a silvered car cover.

(
INteresting. Here's somebody else that makes the same claim. And he used the expensive stuff....

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...nce-cabin-temp
Old 06-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

I wonder what this perforated film would do? I would probably just do the hatch glass. I don't have a rearview mirror and only use the wing mirrors, which is legal where I live. I'm tall and the rearview mirror obstruted my view out the front, plus I've driven trucks and trailers most of my life so I'm comfortable with wing mirrors anyway.

https://vvividshop.com/products/one-...cy-window-film

This stuff comes in white and black. Obviously white would be better for heat....

Old 06-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
INteresting. Here's somebody else that makes the same claim. And he used the expensive stuff....
I used the expensive stuff also - a nationally known brand professionally installed.

I feel kinda foolish having fallen for this ruse. I have always believed that a product doesn't really have to perform, it is enough just to convince a large market that it does. Yet, I fell for it. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON FILM!
Old 06-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

So what happened to "Whose car is this"?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
So what happened to "Whose car is this"?
haha!

Yeah that got derailed....
Old 06-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default retitle

Yeah, went off the rails, but it evolved into something worthwhile, so I'm going to retitle it
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in