O2 sensor helps...for about a mile - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default O2 sensor helps...for about a mile

(In the Subject, I meant to type "O2 sensor extender")

Happily for me, living in New Mexico has meant that even when my 2001 Insight 5M sprouted the Check Engine light with the code pointing to the second O2 sensor...and even living (for a time) in a metro area that required emissions testing...hybrids get pass anyway. So there's never been any regulatory pressure to get this seen to.

However, I've had the oxygen sensor extension/fitting for awhile and, just today, in conjunction with getting new front rotors and pads, I had it installed.

I started the car and drove from the shop to the nearby Subway. I was very pleased to see the Check Engine light off (clearing the code had been requested). Went inside to get my sandwich, came out to restart and resume the trip home. Typical of all of the warm restart stumbles that I had experienced ever since that light first came on (reporting this code), on light throttle acceleration the car bucked once...then carried on...to the familiar glow of the Check Engine light, showing that apparently nothing has changed, no successful fooling of the computer, no cure of that stumble.

So.....do I just continue to live with it? I'm out only a few bucks.

Last edited by xqqqme; 07-05-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: incorrect terminology
xqqqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Contact me for a set of o2 sensors,,both shipped for 100
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply. There's much I don't know about all this so, bear with me here. All this time I'd been under the impression from discussions here that this Check Engine code pointing to the O2 sensor was a) common and b) easily fixed with the extension. Your reply seems to indicate that while both of those points could well be true, I might be experiencing something more complicated, involving not just the location of the 2nd sensor in relation to the exhaust stream but the two sensors themselves. Correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

The whole reason you have the check engine light on is because there is a fault in one or both of the sensors you canít add an extension to the sensor and hope the light goes out you have to fix or diagnose the problem first start with what codes you have and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, the spacer under the #2 sensor has fixed a bunch oh them for me. I can't remember any that haven't worked. I even fixed my Miata this way the other day.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default O2 sensor helps...for about a mile

Regardless of what they're called, what they do is to move the O2 sensor physically farther away from the main exhaust flow in hopes of tricking the ECU into not throwing the P0420 DTC when you A HFC, or a trackpipe. While on some cars they do actually prevent the P0420 DTC from being thrown, they cause fueling problems on all cars 2001 and newer. The ECU uses the input from the rear O2 sensor to affect fueling in addition to simply monitoring the cat (as in 2000 and older cars). If you remove the rear O2 sensor entirely, mount it somewhere that isn't in the exhaust at all (don't laugh, I've seen it done), or even just move it out of the main exhaust flow, you'll develop strange fueling errors as the ECU tries to make the rear O2 see what it's programmed to achieve. The result of this is slightly worse fuel economy, a worse idle, and generally increased difficulty in getting the car tuned or other check engine light codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Xspeedracer,

In your initial post you did not explain what check engine light code you had. You stated that you just had a spacer/anti-fouler installed.

If you are sure you had a P0420, about 90% of the time a spacer will help cure this code. The spacer has to be on the second sensor. You indicated you had it installed by someone else, please be sure it is on the second sensor and they didnít mistakenly install it on the first one.

The first 02 sensor effects fueling as you describe not the second sensor.

The second sensor basically monitors what is between the two sensors, the catalytic converter, not fueling.

A P0420 code is catalytic converter below efficiency.

A spacer on the second sensor moves the sensor out of the direct stream of exhaust and the code normally goes away. I know of approximately 5 cars that donít have any guts in the cars and run a spacer and have no codes and run fine.

The check engine light can read as many as maybe 100 different codes.

Please have the codes read and confirm what it currently is and please report back.

Thanks,
Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

The second 02 sensor bung is where I have my AF gauge mounted. The second 02 sensor is mounted in a enclosed tube under the vehicle with an O2 "Fooler" installed. No codes, excellent running, and for many many thousands of miles.

I agree with RX Scott.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Scott, I'm the OP, not Xspeedracer,

Honestly, the code was pulled (and the spacer ordered) so long ago that I don't recall the exact numbers...but the advice at the time was, as you note, to simply get the spacer. I'll have the code pulled again, jot it down and report back. Yes, I'm aware that there are many possible codes that can lurk behind the Check Engine light (and also aware, via long-ago history with Honda dealer Master tech), that "90% of Check Engine alerts are initiated by a pollution control issue, even down to the misfiring of one spark plug on two successive ignitions."

Yes, I had a local mechanic do it in the course of installing new front brakes. Short of standing behind him to make sure it was added to the downstream sensor, I can't testify to that....but the instructions (and the "playback" of them) was definitely to add it to the #2 sensor location.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqqqme View Post
All this time I'd been under the impression from discussions here that this Check Engine code pointing to the O2 sensor was a) common and b) easily fixed with the extension.
Nope, it's the code pointing to the catalytic converter that is easily fixed with the extension. (O2 sensor spacer)
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in