Vredestein Quatrac 5 review - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky
Default Vredestein Quatrac 5 review

Something to take into account with this review: I have a 200+ HP K24 engine under my hood. Weight distribution is different in my car, and I have a lot of torque in want of being delivered to the road.

I just put a set of 185/60r14 width Vredsteins on the front, the same tires which are available in 165/65r14 as an alternative for our stock tires. Still running a pair of RE92s in the rear as they have a lot of tread left. I decided to go with wider tires because in 1st gear (and sometimes 2nd) my RE92s just spun and left black streaks in the road. They weren't long for this world as they just couldn't hold onto the road well enough.

I only have about 30 miles on the Vredesteins so far. Probably not a fair comparison, bald RE92s vs brand new tread, but the Vredsteins feel like snow tires by comparison and at 38psi actually have less traction than RE92s did at 45. I'm told traction improves as the surface of the tire wears in.

I picked these tires for a few reasons: very lightweight at 14lbs (vs 13lbs for RE92s), rave reviews on TireRack and independent sites vs their competition, low price ($70 or so per tire).

Beyond early grip impressions:
-They're a little quieter than RE92s and the pitch is a bit different, subjectively easier on the ears.
-They feel a bit squishy, like halfway between my rock hard worn RE92s and my Nokian winter tires. They don't wallow, despite feeling soft.
-Ride NVH is a bit better.
-Steering is noticeably heavier.
-Wider tires up front change how it feels to corner. I feel like there's more turn-in at moderate speed cornering.

I'll update with impressions after I have a few thousand miles on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I, for one, will be following you closely. I am quite interested in trying something other than Bridgestone even if it means buying outside of the Costco warranty umbrella.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I put the vredesteins on my insight a thousand miles ago. I like them. They are inflated to 45#. They hold the road very well. Car handles fine. They are quieter. Fuel economy seems similar with one caviot, I’m waiting for one of Scott’s under aero panels until I can say for sure. I’m probably not the best tire critic tho. I just don’t split that particular hair. That said, I’m happy and not looking back.

Last edited by EricTheWood; 07-08-2019 at 12:59 PM.
EricTheWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

After getting home I aired them up from 32PSI to 50PSI and after a short test drive, decided I do in fact like them. Handling sharpened, coasting seems subjectively as good or better than RE92s but I have no data so far to confirm this, and ride quality is a lot better than RE92s with that pressure. It looks like these tires squish less on flat ground but more over bumps and irregularities. My headlight beams are up a bit. They do still "feel" a bit heavier despite have essentially identical weight, and clearly have much softer sidewalls.

The one thing I didn't get is more grip, they still spin in 1st gear. But maybe that'll improve as the surface layer of rubber wears off.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default I'd been on the Vredsteins since march

More aggressive tread, by far. Less chalky than the Bridgestones. tiny, tiny loss of economy, but massive improvement in noise, and rain traction. Also the Bridgestones seems to be very easy to get punctures with, and these had no issues with punctures. I'd get them again, should opportunity present itself.
mrdennmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdennmann View Post
More aggressive tread, by far. Less chalky than the Bridgestones. tiny, tiny loss of economy, but massive improvement in noise, and rain traction. Also the Bridgestones seems to be very easy to get punctures with, and these had no issues with punctures. I'd get them again, should opportunity present itself.
You are talking me into those tires. The RE92's work but here is a better tire. I will just miss the Costco service and warranty.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in