Honda Insight Forum banner

Help evaluating a 2000 Insight

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kelleemaray 
#1 ·
Hi everybody. I finally found an Insight to buy in my area and am wondering if there are specific issues with the 2000 model I should have my mechanic look for before buying. It has around 85,000 miles on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks,
Kellee

#2 ·
Hello. I bought a used 2000 sight-unseen last year (I was working in China, and needed a car when I came back), but it had just had the main battery replaced at 80,000 miles. It had the "check engine" light on when my wife drove it home, and that light stayed on until Honda sent a recall notice. Went to the dealer and they reprogrammed or replaced the main computer, and haven't had any issues since. I drive the car every day on my 40 mile commute, rain shine snow etc and have averaged 63mpg over 12,000 miles. I am very happy with the car - but you should read the forum to understand this is not the same as driving a regular car. To get 63mpg, you have to start slowly from stops, pay attention to battery charging, and plan ahead so you aren't trying to be in a hurry. Those are fairly positive behavior changes. It is kind of a hobby and a commuter car all in one!

If they haven't replaced the battery under warranty, you should expect that you will need to. Look on the forum for more information and predictions on that, and the warranty discussion.

I paid the Blue Book full $8,500, even though it had some scratches. I have saved over $800 in gasoline compared to driving a 25mpg car for the past year.

#3 ·
I bought a 2000 Insight 5spd on eBay and drove it home. I'm in eastern TN, but I travel a lot. I'm driving to Ft. Myers and Destin, FL next week. If you find a car you are interested in, I'll be glad to take a look for you. I have a friend who is familiar with driving mine (we often travel together) who lives in Austin, TX. I'm pretty sure he'd look at one for you. He'd probably charge you a few dollars for time/gas. If you find something there, I'll be glad to ask him.

The best thing you can do is find one locally to drive so you have a basis for comparison. I didn't do that and found that the shock/struts are shot in mine. They're about $1300 to replace...yikes! If you get the VIN, call your local Honda dealer and they can look up a history of its recalls and repairs. Sometimes the dealer that has been servicing the car can get you more info. Its worth calling them too.

One indicator that I have found for a well-cared-for Insight is that they put the Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 tires on it if they replace the tires. People who use other tires don't have a very good understanding of the way the car functions and its "special needs" such as 0w-20 oil, low rolling resistance tires, etc. This is obviously a generalization, but something to note. If the tires are more than about 5 years old, you should replace them. I bought a set of four Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 tires for $264 installed at Discount Tire in Franklin, TN (just south of Nashville).

You definitely should get one under warranty. The batteries will need replacing eventually (mine are being done on Monday!). The 2000-2004 models have a 10 year/157k mile warranty (this is longer than the paperwork will say, but Honda had to extend warranties by 5% in this time frame due to "miscalibrated" odometers.) Also, some of the recalls only apply during the 8 year/80k mile warranty. You might want to look into that as well.

I would expect to pay close to or above KBB retail for it. I buy and sell Insights on occasion and I have found that if I pay retail for one with extra low miles, I can make a few grand on it by turning around and selling it.

Let me know if I can help you in any other way. If you have more questions feel free to ask. I enjoy helping people find Insights...they're great cars!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.