Honda Insight Forum banner

Straightening wheel with bottle jack

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  rhall 
#1 ·
I must have had low pressures and I hit the square edge of new pavement- bang!

What I did was make a fitted wooden block for the bottom inside of the rim, then I fashioned a piece of bar to fit under the lip where it was bent. I heated the area for about 3 minutes with a propane torch then used the jack. When the left and right edges of the bar made contact it went no further and the extra pressure caused the rim to temporarily deform into an oblong shape. When I released the pressure the wheel sprung back but the bend on the lip was almost gone.

To finish I might put the whole wheel crossways into a vice and, with heat, reduce the small bump that remains. That would take a vice that opens to 7” and I don't have one that big so I may not do it. The wheel seems round and it's on the inside.

I put the wheel on the back of the car and spun it by hand using my thumbnail as a contact point. Not very scientific but it is almost as good as the front side.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.