Bicycle rack for 2005 insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Bicycle rack for 2005 insight

Does anyone out there know of a bicycle rack that will fit a 2005 insight?
Mikegerb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

also been looking for one for the 2001,
or better yet a roof cargo rack, or a hitch for a cargo
trailer like those in motorbikes;
any luck ?
solartony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

This post has a few options:
Bike Racks
Dakine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I actually bought a SeaSucker Talon bike rack and it works great. Here's a small clip of my bike mounted while driving on the freeway: SeaSucker on 2002 Honda Insight - YouTube
WINGZERO619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this is one of 2 threads on the forum that mention Seasucker.

I am looking at precisely this option since hitch mounts are a tremendous pain to get for the G1 (custom built). Is anyone else using a Seasucker Talon or Mini Bomber? I need to carry 2 bikes at least once a week and 1 bike almost every day. Security is of little to no concern since the bike and Seasucker would come off at the destination.

My road bike (XL size) barely fits under the hatch with both wheels off and ends up scratching the interior and encroaching on the passenger side seat as well. I have had just about enough of this and I'm almost ready to take the plunge on a Seasucker (pun intended).

I hope someone else can pitch in with their experience mounting it on the roof/glass of the G1 before I lay down $400 on a mini bomber. If there is nobody else I might just go to REI and buy one. If it doesn't work out I can return it.

Thanks!
secteur_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

thx cyclist ... i also have been looking for a rack, hitch or both to no avail ...
solartony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

The girlfriend and I reached an agreement that we will be better off with 2 Seasucker Talons instead of 1 Seasucker Mini Bomber so we can each use a rack on our cars and mount both when we want to take just 1 car. I am actively looking for a new or used Seasucker Talon and hope to post some updates soon. I've just about given up on the custom hitch route for transporting bikes with the G1.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Those are clever. Spendy, though. I am planning to borrow a road bike for a triathlon in September, I hope I can just fit the frame in the hatch area and the tires in the passenger seat and floor. If not I guess I'll just have to drive my pickup.

I was wondering if my Hollywood style rack would work in my Insight, but I don't think there's anything under the rear bumper area to attach the straps down there.
enigmat120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

The rear bumper is hollow and cannot support the weight stress of the typical trunk mounted bike rack. It caves in at the slightest force applied. I am afraid to mount it to the glass directly and have it wedged on the glass on top and on the back. Replacement hatch glass isn't cheap.

In regards to interior hatch room, you can fit a bike up to about 60cm frame size if you take both wheels off and lower the saddle. My saddle doesn't have a quick release and it's an annoyance to fit. I have managed to carry my 58cm road bike like this for the past year, but I cannot really have a passenger in the car with the bike stashed in and there's a high possibility of getting grease and scratches all over the interior, not to mention the constant dismantling of the bike and putting it back together.

The Seasucker bike racks are indeed spendy, but if you compare the pricing to buying a tow bar and a hitch mounted bike rack, or a roof rack setup for 2 bikes the pricing all of a sudden makes sense. It's a matter of what works best for your individual vehicle and needs.

I am still on the prowl for a used Seasucker bike rack as I am not ready to spend $270 on a single bike Talon model, or $400 on a 2 bike Mini Bomber model.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

I started on a bike rack/hitch last night that will be hidden under the rear licence plate with a hinge mount for the plate. The hitch tube is 1 1/4 X 1 1/4. I intend to have a couple of these done over the next week or two so that I can have them on display at Insight Fest. The unit will have structure that mounts through the frame of the vehicle inside the trunk area. There will then be the part that bolts through the rear body panel of the vehicle.

Here is a photo of aproximately where I expect the tube to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (104.6 KB, 51 views)
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in