Honda Insight Forum banner

What did you do to your G1 Insight today?

828K views 7K replies 527 participants last post by  Lyger 
#1 ·
I'm shamelessly copying this idea for the thread from another car forum.

Reading this thread may help other members (new or old) remember to do some simple but forgotten maintenance, or inspire them to accomplish that long desired mod, or simply learn something new about their Insight.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

- Changed oil with Peak full synthetic oil.

- Changed cabin filter. It's helpful to clean leaf and other debris from the filter box with vacuum or air pressure.

- Replaced spark plugs. OF COURSE I had "A" plugs in there instead of the required "B" plugs. (Don't forget to use anti-seize compound on the new plug threads.)

#3,411 ·
2%

https://noln.net/2017/06/30/skinny-ow-16-oil/

NOLN: What type of fuel efficiency increase are you seeing with 0W-16 oil?
Miyamoto: So we tested a Honda Fit on a dynamometer. The 0W-16 showed an improvement in fuel economy by 2 percent when compared to 0W-20.
Takahashi: Two percent doesn’t sound like much just car by car, but when you look at the overall carbon footprint one company can make by saving 2 percent, it is quite substantial — especially when car companies like Toyota are selling millions of cars a year. Saving 2 percent on half of that fleet really makes a difference environmentally.

#3,414 ·
I hope this 0W-16 has been tested running for long periods of time at highway speeds as we experience here on the interstates and regular highways. I respect the engineering in Japan. After all, look what we are riding in. I would just feel better if I knew the oil was tested here under our conditions

#3,412 ·
That is on a Honda Fit, what about an Insight?
Good reading though.

I remember many years ago, we used "Bean Oil" in some racing engines for more power. All we got was a better SMELLING exhaust.

TKS

#3,413 ·
Took a picture...

Was out and about, happened to turn and look back as I exited the parking garage.

I'm not a "car-photo" kind of guy, but there was something about the concrete, the tint on the windows, and the shadows on car in profile that I couldn't resist.

Not too bad for 17 years old...

Attachments

#3,415 ·
If. Everything Works Out I'll. Get. A. Kabota. 17 Horsepower Diesel. Motor. tomorrow . The easy thing would be removed gas motor pop in Diesel . not gonna do it .going to take off rear plastic bumper.drill holes in metal rear bumper. Mount diesel motor on rear bumper passenger side .get a electric clutch attached to motor drive shaft .then bolt on spare wheel and see how it works. Diesel motor will start when car is going 50 mph. It will not have a transmission so should be powerful enough. Takes 8 hp to go 50 . Gas motor will get me to 50 . I'll kill the engine flip the electric clutch switch that will start diesel motor. Diesel motor throttle will be set at 80% .going downhill on across the flats should do very well to climb hill may restart gas engine. If all this works I will then build a boat tail to hide fifth wheel and diesel motor. When it works out it won't be a hybrid it will be a tribrid. gas diesel electric. . Diesel motor will operate at 50 mile an hour speed's only ,no transmission .The car that wins Green Grand Prix is getting 250 miles per gallon with the same Kabota diesel engine.I love the smell of aluminum in the morning! if it don't work I can still go back to male modeling. Small motors at 80% throttle are more efficient than large motors at 40 to 50% throttle. And motors that run on compression are more efficient that spark plug types. May even try a lite weight bicycle tire it won't carry a load it will just be. pushing.can run power lines inside car to control Electric clutch.and kill switch for motor. Most people would never think this even fewer would type it--if it works real good i will copy the Green Grand Prix car.

#3,419 ·
#3,417 · (Edited)
What I did to my G1? Yesterday I drove it in the fifteenth anniversary Green Grand Prix at Watkins Glen. We had rain. Snow, sleet, and temperatures in the low 30s °F. Winds about 10-15 mph. I scored 63.4 mpg, drove 80.4 miles for First In Class. If not for a plug-in Prius that got 70.4 mpg, I would have had the best overall mpg for all liquid fueled cars.

It's very pretty country. I took this photo while riding in my brother's Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3,422 ·
What I did to my G1? Yesterday I drove it in the fifteenth anniversary Green Grand Prix at Watkins Glen. We had rain. Snow, skeet, and temperatures in the low 30s °F. Winds about 10-15 mph. I scored 63.4 mpg, drove 80.4 miles for First In Class. I not for a plug-in Prius that got 70.4 mpg, I would have had the best overall mpg for all liquid fueled cars.

It's very pretty country. I took this photo while riding in my brother' Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am guessing that is heading south into the Glen, Lake Seneca on your left. At least that is how I remember it from 50+ years ago. I see the weather is the same. Glad you did so well in the MPG.

#3,420 ·
Mission complete! I have a Kabota diesel engine. It runs like a top sounds good has good power could only be happier with a beautiful woman but that's another story for another day. . This motor seems to be so much better than what I was expecting it may go under the hood. I can have a spare three cylinder spark plug motor . It's really nice when things go great thanks to everybody who has anything to do with insight central!

Attachments

#3,423 ·
Pulled the intake manifold cleaned the EGR plate and replaced the spark plugs, I found it had cheap autolight plugs in it and 2 were loose plugs all incorrect for car runs much better now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3,425 ·
@Crazy88, you have real tools and a real compressor in the background. What color are you spraying?

Good that you are in Arizona with a relative humidity below 50%. I learned the hard way that you don't want to paint above that.

Can't wait to see how it looks!

#3,427 · (Edited)
Came out to 80.54 mpg for the tank. No use of IMA battery for assist. 156k miles now.

Also did oil+filter yesterday; I didn't know they had 0w-16 available in the US, so I went with the Mobil-1 like usual. I looked in the Japanese owner's manual for 2010 Insight, since I have a 2010; that one says recommended is Honda Ultra Green which is like calculated to be around 0w08 or something. I bet a Japanese manual for the G1 would also suggest the Ultra Green is usable in the G1 Insight.

Attachments

#3,429 ·
Came out to 80.54 mpg for the tank. No use of IMA battery for assist. 156k miles now.
That is impressive. Well done. :cheers: Do you get as many angry tailgaters as I do? :D

How do you start from a stop without the IMA activating? Do you have MIMA or OBDIIC&C?

#3,434 ·
I’m sort of amazed at these stories of driving so slowly. Here, the drivers would tailgate so close you wouldn’t be able to see anything but them in the rear view, and if you slowed down more, so would they, hitting you with high beams and blowing their horns. Flashers, or no, they wouldn’t care. And over in PA, where I’m from... I’d be scared I’d get run off the road, or shot at, or both! On a secondary road, with no passing zones, out in the woods... honestly, I think it would be dangerous.

#3,437 ·
Here, the drivers would tailgate so close, and if you slowed down more, so would they, hitting you with high beams and blowing their horns.
Yikes, life is too beautiful to be upset like that. I guess I understand the idea that you should "Live in NY once but get out before you get to too hard" is followed by "Live in SF once, but get out before you get too soft" I have been here too long.

-Randy

#3,436 ·
I'm just thinking of doing 50 on an interstate or 101 in California. Good luck. 45 will get you a ticket for impeding traffic. For me, only me, I'd rather get poorer mileage and not have to have the rear end fixed or deal with the irate and sometimes armed children who are out on the roads today. I like the better mileage but I am not risking my life for any exotic numbers. YMMV LOL

#3,439 ·
I only gots me the G1.

But... Today my sweet heart and I delivered a car to a PA location. I got a little ahead and had to slow below the ambient speed so she could catch up. When the first tailgater came along about 2 seconds later, I hit the flashers, lowered the window, and waved them around and it worked. Then, like mean, impatient, little ducklings, the next followed the first around. I didn’t even get flipped off!

Half the drive was highway @ around 65 mph. The other half on secondary road @ around 50 mph, average. 250+ miles round trip. 68.9mpg. Not *too*bad. It would have been better, but I got stuck in about 10 miles of stop and go on the way home. You always want that extra tenth, don’t you?

Some of the secondary hills are fairly long and steep. Run the battery halfway down on the SOC and then charge it up the whole way on the other side.

Ran like a champ. I smile the whole time I’m driving it!

#3,441 · (Edited)
Was it the dog? Cause you can barely see it in the photo, your car is in the way.

-Randy

this would have been funnier if you could see the previous message and this one. I would have deleted it but didn't see a way.

#3,443 ·
So which one is which? This is confusing.

Sam

#3,445 ·
Nice! Thanks.

Sam

#3,447 ·
?................what does it mean, for the OF.
(Got to be cussin.)

#3,449 ·
Everybody that really likes Honda insight has more than one or two. Oh my favorite car yesterday going home I got on a newly paved road from 15 years ago. The ride was a little bumpy but I could get 150 mile per gallon at 30 mile an hour. I went to another road that was really really recently paved last year it is smooth and guess what 150 miles per gallon at 40 miles an hour even slightly going up hill. I guarantee you a smooth surface deals my car better mpg must have something to do with the tires are able able to disturb as much air around a gravelly top. On another note I drove 6o miles an hour for 1 mile on a flat surface to see what it would do 100 miles per gallon. As close to whatever flat is in West Tennessee. ----ps don't forget to mow your yard and then put the diesel engine in your car. Old ancient Chinese proverb !

Attachments