Honda Insight Forum banner

Insight (1st gen) as a motorhome towed vehicle

19K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  boojum 
#1 ·
First a bit of background, I have a rather small 23' motorhome with a 2001 Ford E150 chassis and 5.4L V8 engine. It has an empty vehicle weight of about 9,200lbs and a max total gross vehicle weight of 11,500 making it only able to tow a car weighing less than 2,000 lbs considering passengers and all the stuff you take with you. I had been searching for a small lightweight car to tow but other than a Smart car, there didn't appear to be many. I test drove a Smart but hated it's ride and fuel economy since I expect to drive the towable vehicle for day to day errands as well. I had just about given up hope when I stumbled on a motorhome forum where one guy had towed an 2002 Insight. He mentioned a 1600 lb. curb weight but I soon discovered it was more like 1800, about the same as a Smart. That got me looking and I found a 2001 Insight with only 100K, one owner, and new tires at a Toyota dealer about 3 hours away. Price $5500. I spoke with the salesman on the phone and he took photos of the underside to show what appeared to be a nearly rust free car in upper Michigan. I was able to take him down to $4800 due to unknown battery condition and put a deposit on a credit card. Once I finally made it up to purchase, we discovered it had a brand new IMA battery installed 2 months earlier as well so I was very pleased.

Drove it home and purchased a towbar and baseplate from Blue Ox. The baseplate was a bit challenging to install but securely attached to the octagonal bumper mount frame as well as the aluminum casting attaching to the main frame, so a very secure setup. It protrudes through the grill to attach to the towbar. I installed tail light wiring, brake cable for the surge brake towbar, and a battery minder to keep the 12v battery charged since you need to leave the key in unlock mode to allow the steering to free steer as it is being towed.

All in all this appears to be one of the most fuel efficient, lightest weight towed vehicles available for motorhomes to tow. I have a manual transmission so it is not an issue to tow 4 wheels down. Heading to Florida in the near future to escape this horid winter weather.

Rick

See less See more
#2 ·
Just something to note, the gross vehicle weight rating is just what's supported by the vehicle's axles (vehicle weight, passengers, cargo, and tongue weight if towing). The gross combined vehicle weight is the max weight for the vehicle plus whatever you're towing, likely much higher than your 11,500lbs GVWR rating. So you probably could have gone with something bigger. However, you'll likely barely notice that you're towing the Insight, and you'll get great mileage when you're driving it around.:) Congrats.

#3 ·
You are absolutely correct, I just discovered that 11,500 is GVWR but the GCWR is actually 15,000 so now I have 5,800 lbs to play with, don't know how I missed this one but the GCWR is not include on the vehicle placard and I just now found it in the sales brochure. Thanks for pointing this out, now I can bring my wife!

Oh and yes, I do love the Insight!

#4 ·
Towing the Insight behind RV

An update on the use of a 2001 Insight as a motorhome towed vehicle...just returned from a 450 mile roundtrip towing the Insight with the Blue Ox towbar. All I can say is WOW. I normally drive at 65mph and consistently get 10mpg on the motorhome, and got exactly the same mileage towing the Insight at 60mph. Granted the additional 5 mph will net me about 1mpg less on the open road but even after lots of non-expressway driving towing, I netted a trip total of 10mpg, the same as all my other trips without towing.

The Insight tracks perfectly behind the motorhome with absolutely no issues due to the zero caster in the steering that some say would cause problems. No transmission issues towing it in neutral and hardly noticed it even during acceleration and braking.

This has to be the BEST toad vehicle available!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...3718.35090.1352943815&type=1&relevant_count=1

#5 ·
Grimmrig. I just logged in to find info about this and sure am happy to read of your success and happiness with your Insight toad! I have a 2000 and plan to do the same. I may get a bus conversion so they should look interesting together! :D

My main concern was whether being towed 4-down would stress the car, if it would bounce around or be too low to the ground or something like that. But it sounds like yours was not affected. Just had it serviced and checked and my mechanic says it should be fine. We hope to hit the road by 11/1!

#7 ·
By placing the key in the unlock mode aren't you turning on the dash? Is your insight accumulating miles as you tow?
Thanks
Gerald

#9 ·
Would towing it in the 'on' position charge the battery while you tow? This would be interesting to know... Probably not but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

#10 ·
You are correct. No.

sam

#11 ·
With the Insight key turned to the first position, it only unlocks the steering and turns on accessory power, primarily the radio. Dash instruments do not power up and no mileage is accumulated on the odometer. I did discover that if the key is simply put in the ignition and steering unlocked then turned back to off, the steering stays unlocked without accessory power, but I don't trust that electronics will maintain the steering unlock solenoid. Also even with the radio turned off, the accessory power is drawing about 2 amps somewhere so I have a device called a BrakeBuddy Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer that keeps the Insight 12V battery charged from my motorhome while towing it.

#12 · (Edited)
I did discover that if the key is simply put in the ignition and steering unlocked then turned back to off, the steering stays unlocked without accessory power, but I don't trust that electronics will maintain the steering unlock solenoid.
There's no way the steering wheel lock is electric. That would be a total deathtrap if an electrical issue could make the steering lock up. Only GM is that stupid.

I think what's actually happening is the lock plug travels inward a bit once turned to the acc position. Turning back to off will not let the plug pop out unless the key comes out. Watch it closely next time the key is pulled out.

#14 ·
Also: for what it's worth, a 1st-gen insight cannot be 'almost' rust-free. It will be 100% rust free on the undercarriage (with the possible exception of fuel and brake lines), for there is not any steel there to rust. Its all-aluminum construction means the only thing you could encounter would be some aluminum corrosion, but that's much more unusual and much less damaging than rust is to a steel-bodied car.

#16 ·
I see that the Blue Ox model I installed is only listed for 2001 and 2002. I can't believe there many differences, but speculate there must be enough differences that will make it require a different model. After installing one on a 2001, there are some pretty close clearances and some items like the washer tank get slightly relocated during the install. Having said that, I would believe the basic frame attachment would be nearly identical but it may be possible Blue Ox only made specific model for 2001 and 2002 due to the possibly higher volume of these models, I believe the CVT made its appearance in 2002 so manual tranny models were more rare in later years. Best to contact Blue Ox and ask why not.

#18 ·
I personally believe that all the Gen 1 are the same in the front chassis. Blue Ox just never took the time to update their list. IMHO.

Order it with return privileges.

#19 ·
Called Blue ox as to the baseplate fitting the later models ...they told me they stoppe developing it in 2002 for lack of sales/interest. He suggested I call Honda to see if any changes occurred in chassis/Fascia/plastic etc. I called Honda and after giving all my info on Car,Vin number etc...I was put on hold while they researched the question on changes ...came back after a few minutes and told me they cant find any info on changes between years...anyway ordered the BX2223 baseplate from Amazon $379 (good return privileges)...I will report back my experience with installing on a 2005 Insight. Thanks all for the Help...hope I can help someone in the future.

#21 ·
Great news, let me know if you have any issues installing it. I did find that the safety cables they include are nearly impossible to find a location to connect to and use them so I did not. Also, I had a bit of an issue getting the bumper to fit back on, the baseplate forces the bumper cover out about an extra 1/2" so the plastic retainer holes didn't line up well, but with a little pressure, I was able to insert them.

#24 ·
Wouldnt that be the best setup ever...My insight in a drive in bay on the motorhome...
Though the Insight is light weight, it is a VERY long car. That's why it's so stable and aerodynamic. I was looking at Toy Hauler RVs for this exact option and found the only RV BIG enough to take the Insight is from Gulf Stream, the Bounty Hunter. And you have to get the BIG garage one, that has a second entry door, that's the one that's 16 feet long. VERY rare. I have been looking for 4 years and yet to have google tell me one is for sale. The 12 footers are more common, as they have more interior space to spread out when you are not dealing with the car in the garage.

I ended up getting the Blue Ox and tow the hybrid behind my 23 foot RV as well. When I purchased, I too could not get Blue Ox to commit that they supported the 2000 model, only 2001-2002, so I took a chance and it worked flawlessly. Hopefully the 2005 was the same, no updates that I saw.

It is a VERY stable companion and you literally cannot tell it's back there. Too thin to see in the mirror except around really tight turns. RV is Sprinter based so I get 18+ MPG and I don't believe I even slow down when towing and do not get a any less MPG, maybe take the + off.

It is nice to be able to put things in the Insight that are in the way in the RV being only 23 foot long, but the Sprinter is almost a daily driver. Small enough to take shopping, so I actually have used the tow setup mostly to take a car places (like dropping it off for repair) or to pick up my wife who earlier drove some place in the Insight and we can drive back together.

I am really pleased to learn the trick with turning off the key and not removing it. The mechanic who installed the baseplate said he wired the power from the RV to the 12v on the Insight, but i have a battery meter that says different and there was no box installed that would create separate electrical systems, so I am probably discharging when I drive. This new learning will let me tow the car with me across country. Too bad it still needs two keys, one in the ignition and one to lock the car, I wish the fob would lock it when the key is in.

-Randy

#27 · (Edited)
Insight towed vehicle update

Just to update this thread, I bought a new motorhome, a Coachmen Prism 24G and now tow the Insight behind it, again with little impact on my mileage. I didn't like the color of the new RV and the royal blue Insight so I vinyl wrapped it to match the motorhome. Fun but time consuming and about $350 of vinyl and 30 hours of time to completely wrap it, including the black front bumper. Stripes were added after completing the white and tan areas.

#32 ·
Just to update this thread, I bought a new motorhome, a Coachmen Prism 24G and now tow the Insight behind it, again with little impact on my mileage. I didn't like the color of the new RV and the royal blue Insight so I vinyl wrapped it to match the motorhome. Fun but time consuming and about $350 of vinyl and 30 hours of time to completely wrap it, including the black front bumper. Stripes were added after completing the white and tan areas.

What did you do for tow/brake lights on the insight? My parents just retired and bought an RV. I've kinda talked them into getting an insight. Given it's aluminum, it's not going to take the normal magnetic tow lights.

#28 ·
Hey, that's a sweet wrap job even on its own!

#29 ·
That is one great looking rig!

#30 ·
2006 Honda Insight w a BX2223 Baseplate Question

Hello, new to this forum & saw another member wanting to know if the BX2223 BlueOx Baseplate would fit their 2005 Insight. I too am wanting to know if it fit also since I want to do the same thing with my 2006 Insight.

#31 ·
While I can't with all certainty tell you the BX2223 will fit a 2006 Insight, I do believe that there have been no frame changes that would prevent you from installing in on your 2006. I've installed the BX2223 and it essentially bolts to the two hexagon shaped frame extensions and 2 other point on the lower frame castings. Make sure you have a manual transmission and not the CVT.

#33 ·
Run wires from the tow plug on the front of the Insight to the lights in the back thru a diode, then they work either from the Honda itself or mirroring the RVs lights.

Grimmrig, that is an AMAZING job on the car, it looks SO perfect with your RV. Quite inspiring as I too tow behind my big Sprinter RV.

-Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.