$290 for insight EGR valve - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

I just want to mention that, depending on your ECM, Accord valves might give you P1941 because they have a smaller opening than the OEM Insight valve. To be sure to avoid that potential pitfall use this EGR Valve:

Dorman 911-756

It's for the Honda Odyssey, and it has the same size opening as the original Insight EGR valve. I got P1941 with an accord valve; after switching to this one the CEL didn't come back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am using an EGR valve from an '09 Civic (European market model). It has a smaller orifice than the Insight valve but it has worked perfectly for 2 years or so, no lights or codes. (10 delivered, eBay)
Rory57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Does anyone have a code-throwing valve that they can bring to the June Frederick meet? Maybe we can test it and see what is different about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackattacker View Post
It's been confirmed to work. May in fact be better. It's not identical but it bolts up and works.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...t-insight.html
Nice. Who was it that figured that one out? Glad to see that tidbit is still saving people money

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extending the life of your hybrid
Best Tank: 90.2MPG over 918.7 miles 010MCM/030BCM, No MIMA. Details:

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
I just want to mention that, depending on your ECM, Accord valves might give you P1941 because they have a smaller opening than the OEM Insight valve. To be sure to avoid that potential pitfall use this EGR Valve:

The EGR plate has a small restriction in the passage way to each of the cylinders. The diameter of those restriction holes are much smaller than than the EGR valve opening so the valve isn't the final restriction in the system.

Dorman 911-756

It's for the Honda Odyssey, and it has the same size opening as the original Insight EGR valve. I got P1941 with an accord valve; after switching to this one the CEL didn't come back.
In general if the EGR valve itself looks like the G1 valve they have worked OK.

A junk yard valve from a 1997 Acura 3.0 CL V-6 cured my problem. And strangely enough the EGR valve isn't even energized while in lean burn.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

- Had herky jerkey issue in lean burn
- Cleaned EGR passages
- Problem persisted
- Replaced EGR valve with an Accord valve
- Herky jerkey went away
- Got P1941
- Replaced Accord valve with Dorman 911-756 Odyssey valve
- P1941 went away

The only difference between the two valves is the size of the opening. The Odyssey valve has the same size opening as the OEM Insight valve.

I don't think all Insights can get P1941 with the Accord valves; there are differences in the ECM that may make some cars more likely to get the code than others. But my car got that CEL and I know from searching on IC other people have had it too.

Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBossk View Post
What are the symptoms of a bad egr valve? My cvt insight has always had a little shudder which apparently POSSIBLY could be the egr valve? It doesn't shudder too bad but I'm at 215k miles right now and my egr valve is probably original.
If you feel a "shutter" when starting from a stop, it's most likely the start clutches in the transmission. Changing your transmission fluid reasonably often is the best thing to combat that issue.

The "herky-gerky" from a bad EGR is more like a power hesitation during acceleration. Best way to try and confirm it's an EGR issue is to unplug the EGR valve and see if the problem changes. If the EGR valve is suspected to be either the original valve or fairly old, just change it.
#1 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2014, got new old engine in 2016
#2 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2015, No A/C, lots of dents, works
Best tank: 69 MPG . . . Recent tank: 64 MPG, June 2016
johnnyviri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

@Natalya, bring the code-throwing valve to Frederick and lets check it out on the valve tester!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
- Had herky jerkey issue in lean burn
- Cleaned EGR passages
- Problem persisted
- Replaced EGR valve with an Accord valve
- Herky jerkey went away
- Got P1941
- Replaced Accord valve with Dorman 911-756 Odyssey valve
- P1941 went away

The only difference between the two valves is the size of the opening. The Odyssey valve has the same size opening as the OEM Insight valve.

I don't think all Insights can get P1941 with the Accord valves; there are differences in the ECM that may make some cars more likely to get the code than others. But my car got that CEL and I know from searching on IC other people have had it too.
I assume you mean a P1491 DTC.

If you still have the Accord valve measure the sensor resistance. My Acura and bad Honda OEM valve both read ~5000 ohms. Perhaps some other make cars valves have a greatly different resistance.

If you have an OBDIIc&c set it show the EGR sensor voltage. My EGR sensor voltage runs at 1.01 volts all the time except when accelerating or during a purge. On my bench tests the valve doesn't start to open until the solenoid voltage is 3.1 volts.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum

Last edited by olrowdy01; 04-17-2019 at 10:31 PM.
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #20 (permalink)

So I ordered one EGR valve from Parts Geek and it cost just shy of 60 bucks. I went on Amazon and ordered another one (gotta love instant gratification...or at least 2 days free shipping). That one was 35.99. I got it yesterday and put it in. Took a 15 mile drive and so far so good. It was in town so I could not determine if lean burn was affected or not. My old valve looked pretty beat up and was not the original OEM Insight EGR. Someone had replaced it with the Accord EGR before my purchase. I was getting a code from time to time which was EGR insufficient lift. Curious to see if the new one fixes this problem. Work in progress but for 36 bucks you can't beat the price. Link below...

https://www.amazon.com/MOSTPLUS-Exha.../dp/B07DNB3YY5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in