2010 insight help - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2010 insight help

Hi guys, I picked up my insight about a month ago. Everything is good with it, but I noticed a few things. When the engine is cold and I put it in reverse, if I hit the gas a little it kinda kicks into reverse. I had the cvt fluid changed, the car had 72k miles and my mechanic said he can tell the fluid was the original fluid. He was a Honda tech for 20 years, so he knows these cars. He said th kick into gear is normal. The issue is only there when it's cold.
Also when I'm in traffic going slow a I hit the gas, the car flutters a little on acceleration. I took eco mode off and it seemed better. The last thing I noticed was after hard acceleration, the engine doesn't wind down as fast as most cars do. I'm thinking that's normal with the cvt, but figured I'd ask for some feedback. Thanks in advance.
JT30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

A hybrid power train takes a little getting used to, that's for sure. I think you are on the right track taking the eco off when driving in traffic. The Insight is my wife's daily driver, but whenever I drive it such conditions I also shift to S. That keeps it from doing auto stop which I find essential just to keep the A/C going.

Here is something you can try to help with the jerk in the AM, something I have been doing with all my automatic trans cars for years. When parking, shift to N, set the parking brake, take your foot off the brake pedal allowing the car to come to rest on the parking brake. Then shift to Park. The next time you go to shift out of park it will be like butter.

Something else that I thought of while typing all this is that your independent mechanic says the trans fluid looked like it had never been changed. That might indicate that your Insight had never been back to a Honda dealer since new. 2010 & early 2011 Insights have software updates available. There are three or four and a couple of them specifically address your complaints. Read through software update threads here for specifics.

Last edited by egads; 01-25-2017 at 11:57 AM.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for help. The reverse problem is only if I put the car in reverse, and hit the gas. If I let it roll into gear it's fine. Even in drive it almost feels like a manual when it first starts to coast. Once the car is warmed up the reverse issue is gone. I didn't realize that when the car is in S, it won't auto stop. That's definitely good to know for driving in traffic.
JT30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't have a G2 and have never sat in one. I do have two G1 CVTs. When I put them in either D or R from a stop I hesitate until I feel it actually go into gear before I touch the gas. This makes the take-off smoother and I'm sure it is easier on the start clutch and other components.

Our CVTs want a fluid change every other oil change. Since yours is already behind I would recommend changing it again sooner rather than later. Use only Honda CVT fluid. This is important.

And do look into those software updates.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

+1 for the software updates. It really clears up some of the jerkiness issues. As for reversing, my 2010 does the same. I think it's just one of this car's quirks.
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in