2011 Insight shuddering when accelerating - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question 2011 Insight shuddering when accelerating

I bought a 2011 base Insight at around 84k miles and have put 300 miles on it.

One problem I noticed is when accelerating from a stop, I will put my foot down on the throttle and between 5-20 mph it will lurch for a good number of seconds (3-4) while gaining speed. It feels as if I'm applying the throttle on-off-on-off-on-off many times for the entire 3-4 seconds.

Can anyone guess the problem? Is it the engine, or the IMA motor, or the transmission?

I occasionally feel that same lurching when braking down to that speed, though it is much less obvious to me.
vosinsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

If its anything like me, you'll need a new CVT gearbox!

... read my thread.

It could also be one of the coil packs on the rear bank of spark plugs, the plugs themselves, or the EGR valve or the ECU.

That's my advice where to look first.... especially if there is no MIL light on the dash.

I now know a CVT failure doesnt always show a MIL, neither will an EGR or coil pack on your 2011.

Hope its not the CVT. I'd say its highly likely not the IMA system.

Lastly, it could be none of those, and be a failing 12V battery or bad fuel.
phb10186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phb10186 View Post
If its anything like me, you'll need a new CVT gearbox!

... read my thread.

It could also be one of the coil packs on the rear bank of spark plugs, the plugs themselves, or the EGR valve or the ECU.

That's my advice where to look first.... especially if there is no MIL light on the dash.

I now know a CVT failure doesnt always show a MIL, neither will an EGR or coil pack on your 2011.

Hope its not the CVT. I'd say its highly likely not the IMA system.

Lastly, it could be none of those, and be a failing 12V battery or bad fuel.
Yeah, I saw your thread and thought your condition sounded similar, though mine luckily only has that bucking while accelerating at very low speeds.

I have a coupon for a free complete vehicle inspection at a local shop, so maybe they have a clue. If not, I'm ready to drain and refill the CVT fluid (the last owner seemed like someone who didn't care about his car much, but I got the Insight at a good price).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

"A local shop" is not going to know anything about an Insight. I would change the fluid first. I bet it makes a big difference. Hopefully the previous owner's neglect has not done long term damage to that trans. The other thing is just getting used to the quirks of a hybrid. From autostop it sometimes jerks off the line. For me, going back and forth from a regular 5speed automatic to the CVT, the CVT seems like a rubber band. It just feels weird. You might try driving it with the eco button off. I usually go between S in traffic to D once on the freeway. Driving in S in stop & go traffic keeps the engine (and the A/C) running when stopped. I like saving fuel and everything, but I am only willing to suffer so much.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 03:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

I want to post that my Insight does this right after starting the car, like in the first 10 seconds, but it isn't like terrible, and it goes away after that. Is there any reason for me to be concerned? If I start the car and immediately reverse it doesn't seem to ever do it, only if I start and go forward and am applying the gas and it's the first 10 seconds of operation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

The bucking could be the clutch not operating in sync with the system, like slipping too much?

Happens when you have the wrong kind of oil in the CVT.
Tranny oil often has a dope to cover surfaces with a super slick layer, but that should only be used if there is no clutch in the system as it would make it slip.
Eventually the clutch bites through the layer and the bucking ends.

Many motorbikes cannot use car oil for that reason; oiled clutch versus dry plates.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

As I warm my car up from cold, I put it in drive with the brake held to "warm up" the CVT. Seems to help with initial stuttering.

As egads says, I shift to "S" at a stop light or in stop and go traffic.
BackStreetXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Funny, I found that all the faults with my transmission were more noticeable once at full operating temperature, and also worse in the summer, and worse with ECO on.
phb10186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

The "local shop" that did an inspection for me found nothing wrong except they put a stethoscope up to the transmission and heard a sound and recommended a transmission rebuild. I'm not about to drop $2k for no reason, so next step will be CVT fluid replacement.

The shop wanted $300. I called three Honda dealerships and they quoted everywhere from $108 to $169 for CVT fluid replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
I want to post that my Insight does this right after starting the car, like in the first 10 seconds, but it isn't like terrible, and it goes away after that. Is there any reason for me to be concerned? If I start the car and immediately reverse it doesn't seem to ever do it, only if I start and go forward and am applying the gas and it's the first 10 seconds of operation.
Mine happens almost exclusively in the first 50 seconds, I'd say. After that, I don't recall ever having any jerking.

To be honest, it barely affects my driving experience, but I suspected it might get worse if I don't address it.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Get the fluid changed as soon as you can afford to. Try to use a dealer (as you have found, sometimes dealers are actually cheaper!) When you take it in, explain that you do not think the previous owner ever brought it into a dealer and have them run the VIN for recalls. There are ones for the airbags. But in addition ask them to please connect your car to the Honda computer in the service area and if any software updates show up, please install them all. Just tell them you realize that hybrid software updates were a land mine for them once on the Civics, but you know that the ones available for the Insight are all good and you really want them. Only one of the four updates will show up on the service writers computer. You must have the Insight actually plugged in!
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
accelerating, engine, ima

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in