Brightest replacement headlights? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brightest replacement headlights?

I'm looking to get the brightest replacement low beam headlights possible for the second generation insight. I don't want to have to replace any wires or relays, or do other modifications, and don't want something so hot that it could burn wires.

Any suggestions? I would like to stay under $50 per pair
Ultraboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

That would be 55W HIDs, like these: 12V 55W H11 Hid Xenon Conversion Kit 5000K 1618347 2017 ? $29.99
I have 35W HIDs in my Insight and can say that those are more than sufficient, being over 3 times as bright as the halogens.
A 55W pair would be 5 times as bright.

The K value designates the colour; it is supposed to emulate a glowing body at that temperature (Kelvin).
5000K is daylight white. 6000K is cool white. 4300K is white with a hint of yellow. 3500K approaches halogen, 2800K resembles halogen. 8000K is blueish white and on the verge of illegality in many counties. 12000K is blue purple.
In general lower K values produce more light than higher K values.

They don't get as hot as halogens. Halogens will melt the snow off the headlamps. HIDs don't, or at least much less so.
I had to stop to clear the snow off once.

One thing to keep in mind when buying the cheap Chinese sets is that they often come with metal tongues to pry into the H11 connector instead of a proper male H11 plug. You have to match the polarity or it won't light.
Do not touch the glass, clean with paper and alcohol or aceton if you're not sure they are clean.

The rubber plugs are for headlights in housings where the ballast does not fit; to block the hole you bore in it to let the ballast hang out.
Our G2 Insight has no such housings; you can just cut the rubber plug to free the wires.
You need to fix the ballasts somewhere, cannot just let them hang on the wires. There should be a mounting bracket in the kit.

After 4 years in the engine bay (not garaged) the tiny screws on my ballasts are rusting, a dab of grease or paint on them would prevent that.

Be careful as the frame parts in the engine bay are razor sharp and may cut you if you touch the edges.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-03-2017 at 06:58 AM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

The HID kit looks a little too complicated for me to install. I was hoping to find just a set of bulbs that I could easily replace. Anybody have any ideas about that?
Ultraboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can try some of the brighter halogen replacement bulbs, such as Sylvania ZXE and Philips X-treme Vision. They are designed to be considerably brighter than regular halogen bulbs, and often are white in color like HID. Cost for the Insight for the low beams should be about $30 per pair. The drawback is they will last about 1.5 years of driving if used all the time, so shorter than regular type halogens.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

HIDs are not that complicated, they just need ballasts in between the plug and the lamp. And you need to mount the ballasts to a fixed point.
They are very much brighter than any halogen and all but the most expensive LED kits.
Most dealers are willing to install a kit for you if it troubles you, but it would easily double the cost for something that isn't rocket science.
Hell, I'm clumsy with a track record to prove it and even I managed to install my HID kit!
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in