G2 Philips Xenon Lights - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default G2 Philips Xenon Lights

Anyone tried or saw in action these lights on a G2?
Any other better xenon light system that you would recommend?
XenonDepot | 2010 Honda Insight HID Kits | Replacement Bulbs | LED Lighting

And I am confused to all the different parts?
I thought it is just 2 light bulbs that need to be replaced, no?
Moota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I haven't tried them but I expect them to be as least as good as my +/- $50 Chinese HID set.

HIDs do not have a filament like halogens; they have a gas chamber that needs to be spiked at high voltage to create an arc. Once lit the voltage drops to about 9 Volt.
The electronics that provide the spark and regulate the voltage afterwards are called ballasts; one for each lamp.

So you have the lamps that have wires with standardized round sleeved HID plugs.
Then a cable from those plugs to the ballast, the ballast itself and a cable from the ballast to the H11 plug.

More often than not the wires to and from the ballasts are bundled in a rubber plug. If the headlight has a tight rear housing there is no room for the ballast, so you have to drill a hole through it and mount it outside the housing. The plug seals the hole.
The Insight does not have a lamp housing over the connectors so we do not need the plug.

Many cheap HID sets do not have proper H11 connectors. They come with two metal pins that fit the holes in the female H11 connector. You have to check the polarity; they only work one way.
When I got my set I complained about the pins and got lamps and connectors (as a set because of the plug) with proper H11 connectors. After a year and a half one of my HIDs failed and I was happy to have the spare set
Of course the plugs were cut up long ago to free the wires.

I'd say the Philips set looks nice, but you'd save a lot of money with a Chinese set. If that works out fine order another for spare parts just in case. Delivery time is long and you do not want to wait a month having just one working light, and you don't want to fall back on halogens either once you got used to HIDs.

Some tips:
Never touch the glass of the lamps. If in doubt clean them with aceton or pure alcohol.
Make sure you have time, light and patience to install the kit. It is a bit of a struggle to access the lamps and to mount the ballasts (can't have them dangling about).
Beware of the Insights body and frame part edges under the hood. They are razor sharp and may cut you badly (I spilled some blood mounting my kit!)
When you remove the halogens make sure the rubber ring on it comes with it. On one of the lamps it stuck to the housing and the HID did not fit no matter how hard I tried. Two rings on one lamp is too much
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Back in 2001, I got a Phillips Xenon Light kit for my 2001 Acura Integra Type R and they were so easy to install and look and function much better than stock lights.

That is why I am leaning to Phillips again for Insight. They are definitely more expensive than Chinese stuff but Chinese stuff' s quality is not that good.

I will have to research if the Phillips kit in the link above is a direct fit or if any mods or holes need to be done.

Will also probably be hard to find one in Canada too
Moota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

You know, when it lights it lights.
My Chinese lamps seem precisely made, I did not need to adjust the beams, one failed before it should have but I had the spares; that set is working fine for about 3 years now.
The ballasts have tiny screws on the corners which rust slowly. I need to treat those some day. Other than that all is fine and solid.

I see no reason to buy expensive when those are probably made in China as well. When you can have 5 sets for the same money.

I am not that keen anymore on Chinese LEDs. More than half I bought failed within a year. But HIDs anytime - for that money.

You have to ask yourself if you want a set of spares with your HIDs. Cause there is always the possibility that they may fail.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in