Latest IMA Software Update - Drving Impressions - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Latest IMA Software Update - Drving Impressions

Yesterday I had had the airbag recall done and I also asked for the latest IMA software update about which Honda sent letters to owners.

I've had the previous updates done a couple of years ago, and those drastically improved the battery management and I was mostly happy with them (the car was terrible before that, constantly draining and recharging the battery instead of keeping it at more optimal levels).

This latest update I am not sure if it is an improvement overall or not. I think it is, but I have some concerns. Here is why.

In terms of drivability, I think it is a good one - the battery is more eager to assist on acceleration and it also regenerates harder. This results in more eager and brisk acceleration and more energy is recaptured during deceleration. The battery is kept more aggressively in the middle to 3/4 full, as it should, which I think is good too. However, I think the battery is being used more than before with this update, which is not necessarily good for it. Hopefully, the use being more in the middle of the SoC range, meaning less swing between too charged and too discharged would compensate for the increased use, so overall life won't be affected much (while drivability is better).

Can't tell if fuel economy is any different, my consumption varies way too much due to where and how I drive to be able to tell for sure. Seems similar enough to before in typical situations though.

I find it harder after the update to find a sweet spot where the batter neither assists nor regenerates. The car seems more eager to get battery assist or to start charging the battery. I would prefer to have some "dead zone" or whatever we could call it, where the car would use only the gas engine and not use or try to charge the battery, but that seems harder to find than before.

FYI, when I picked-up the car the battery showed completely empty (which I'm sure it wasn't). It charged itself after a few miles to completely full, then settled to it's normal 3/4 full or so as an average. Took probably 5 miles to get to that point after the service.

Last edited by Kocho; 04-06-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

the MID prolly read the battery as empty bc the 12v was disconnected in the course of service and the computer was relearning its various systems

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up

FYI newbies, this "latest software update" was announced in November of 2014.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...about-ima.html

Glad ya got around to it Kocho
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Right, the service bulletin is available from the NTHSA here

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...56630-3985.pdf

Indeed, late 2014 was when Honda announced it publicly. However, software updates were available for that same problem long before that. In fact, I was complaining in #10 of that same post below, that my Honda dealer charged me $130 in 2012 or 2013 for the update.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...tml#post639217

The updated software from the service bulletin is an update to the update I had before, I'm guessing. And I would not be surprised if Honda has released further tweaks since then, which got installed for me this week.

Regardless, I highly recommend that update be done, as the battery is being severely abused without it on the affected cars. Mine kept discharging and recharging in wild swings all the time before I did my first update (from before the bulletin), the car losing a good chunk of power on the tiniest hills in my daily commute. After the update it handles those fine, only large highway mountainous roads are somewhat of a challenge, but even there the pack never gets too deeply discharged as it used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
FYI newbies, this "latest software update" was announced in November of 2014.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...about-ima.html

Glad ya got around to it Kocho

Last edited by Kocho; 04-07-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in