Honda Insight Forum banner

Mountain bike storage in a G2

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  egads 
#1 · (Edited)
I am a prospective G2 owner.

I would like to be able to stow my bike (med. frame marin hardtail 29er) inside, standing up, without removing any more than the front wheel/seat.

Will it fit? I suspect I will have an issue with height.

I realize it will fit fine laying down, but that would require moving my tools/parts. I am a field engineer who would be using it for work.

I was able to do it with my '03 Focus ZX3.....after I yanked the rear seat out. BTW, a focus hatch, with the rear seats gone is gimormous!!!! It's like a damn pickup truck!

I would prefer to not do the same to a G2 as I like having at least one vehicle in the fleet that will get good mileage AND 40+ mpg. The focus will do one, driven carfully enough and the Odyssey will do the other.

#4 ·
My wife has a first gen (2007) fit. I can fit her recumbent tadpole trike in there without removing any wheels. I can also get my mountain bike in there at the same time standing up with the front wheel and seat off.

I also doubt it would work with the gen2 insight though.

#6 ·
Key word: potential

My wife barely gets 38 mpg running around LA freeways with the A/C blasting.
If the IMA takes a dump there go the savings.
You would be surprised at how good a deal one can get on a brand new Honda.
Sometimes the spread just does not justify the savings, especially if American Honda is offering their .09% financing. Our Insight was absolutely free. Paid for with the fuel savings from the Odyssey she was driving. (Of course there was the hair shirt, tin can punishment of actually driving the Insight)

#7 ·
My bike won't fit upright in the rear. But it is big and with handlebar extensions. A smaler sized frame might work, though the 29" size might mean a longer fork. I just tried with my 26" wheeled XL sized frame mtb and. It will only fit flat with the front tire off and both rear seat backs flat forward. Plenty of room for that.

I carry my bikes using a hitch rack. Very convenient, can put up to 4 of them back there, no problem.

I also have a roof rack for winter sports and for kayaking.

I recently looked prices on eBay for sold Insights - an '11 can be had for less than $6k. I think they are very reliable and economical cars, the oil burning issues notwithstanding on '12-13 models, I think.

MPG varies a lot. Go over 75mph on the highway and you get below 40mpg. Drive aggressively, and you get low 30s. Winter is worse than summer. But, ride gently with the majority of traffic in light traffic, I consistently beat 40mpg average. On easy highway trips 50mpg is achievable, same on suburban roads.

The Insight is closer to an economy car in terms of features and noise and handling, with mediocre power to match. As long as you approach it this way, you will be happy with one if you expect more from a car that sold new for $16k in base trim, you'd be disappointed.

#11 ·
It might be possuble to have it upright behibd the front seats, across the car. Would require removal of both wheels on the bike though. I have not tried that way.

There is roughly 24" vertical space between the roof liner and the folded rear seats for about 40" behind the front seats in the all the way back position. From the center of the handlebars to the bottom of my fork is 27", but I have an XL frame. If your handlebars are not flat, they can add another few inches (6" in my case). Measure your bike - I think a 26" wheel bike with not very fat tires, a medium frame with somewhat aggressive riding position that keeps the handlebars flat will fit with only the front wheel off. But you may need to take both wheels off. There is one spot where the distance under the roof liner is 26", but that is nkt all the way in. I'd say a small chance to fit a medium bike or smaller. The wheel diameter is 26" ans that is more than the clearance in most places...

#12 ·
Pulling the rear wheel is really not an option. The derailer gets banged up, chain dragging all over the place. Just makes a mess.

It's a shame the insight does not use the Fit's ingenious flip up rear cushion design. There is also the possible issue of either cars narrowness. The bike, with the rear wheel mounted might be too long.

Sometimes I think I should just go back to the rear seatless Focus ZX3 that I used for work prior to going to a long term rental. It fit the bike, standing, longitudinally just fine, is a blast to drive and with a bit of hypermiling, could crack 40 mpg. The only issue with it was the lack of cruise control. But that is easily solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.