Switching to 185 or 195 tires - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switching to 185 or 195 tires

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my 2011 Insight. They are incredible, but the tread has hit 4/32 and it's time to replace them.

Unfortunately, Michelin no longer makes these in the 175/65/15 size (they list them on their website as "Limited Availability", but I've never seen them available anywhere for purchase).

I have two criteria for new tires:
1) I drive on California highways with terrible drainage. Wet traction and hydroplaning resistance are my primary concern.
2) I'd like to still get 35mpg+. I use to get ~40mpg on the stock Dunlops. That went down to ~36mpg on the Pilots. That's ok, as I feel a ton safer with the Pilots, but I'd prefer to not go down to 30mpg.

I can't find any 175/65/15 tires which meet or exceed the Pilots' wet performance (using Tire Rack reviews). If I go to 185/60/15, the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus look nice. If I go to 195/60/15, I can get Michelin Premier A/S tires.

I'm concerned about switching to a non-OEM size, however:
Has anybody went to 185 or 195 tires and had them rub against the car during turns?
Has anybody experienced a greater than 5mpg hit with 185 or 195 tires?

I realize that my speedometer will be ~1mph off.

I've seen old posts mentioning 195's, but I haven't seen any hard data on what they do to mpg, or whether anybody went to 195 and had them *not* fit.

Thanks!
iccir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've heard it won't dip your mpg too much, I'm considering the similar option and went to Canadian tires(I live in Canada) and according to them, an insight would fit up to 195...
And changing them at 4/32 is excellent... I ran mine at 2/32 all season during winter for almost half a month while I wait for the winter tire to be arrived, it was pretty sketchy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

im running 185 65 15 kumho kh30's on the stock steelies and they run as good as the stock dunlops which sucked ... same mpg - maybe a little better ... much better handling ... still tons of room in the wheel well ... no rubbing whatsoever ... others have gone up to 195 60 15 on the stock rims with no probem with clearance either

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in