New Member with battery question - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Member with battery question

Hey all,

Long time lurker first time poster here. My 2011 Insight is my first brand new car and has served me well for the past 130k miles. Aside from a few issues, no major repairs have been needed and I always stay up to date on my regular maintenance.

I recently got my car back from the dealer after an A 1 3 service and was told that my battery was starting to die. The dealer gave me a rough quote of $175 to replace the battery. I declined so I could do more research on my own.

I haven't found much info aside from an Autozone listed Duralast 151R-DLG battery as a cheaper replacement.

Most threads/posts seem to talk about the other battery in the insight that costs a few thousand dollars to repair. Am I correct in assuming the insight uses two batteries and the one the dealer wants to replace is the cheaper battery?

Can anyone recommend an alternative besides whatever the dealer is trying to sell? Is replacing the battery the same as any other car?

I'd appreciate any info you guys could share.

Thanks!
slid180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi, yes 12V battery problems are common on the 2nd Gen Insight.
After 6 years most lead/acid car batteries near the end of life anyway. Any reasonably sized battery should work, as the Insight starts from the IMA battery unless it is really cold (like deep below freezing) or you blew a fuse or such. It should not cost as much as 175 dollars!

IMA battery problems on the 2nd gen are rare indeed. Touch wood.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

You don't show your location in your profile, so I will blindly suggest you just look up local battery places. There are places that just specialize in batteries. They usually have a few levels of quality to offer and almost always install for free. Don't forget to have your radio code ready. A good quality battery for the Insight should cost between $80.- $110. Installed.
You can also do a search here for older threads from when the 2010 Insights started needing batteries (between 2&3 years in our experience. I doubt you Have made it 6 years on the original. If you have been having dealer service all along, they may have already replaced it under warranty once. Some folks do like to fit a larger battery in there.

The battery pack in the back is considered part of the IMA system, and we would refer to it that way. We have had almost no failures so far. The few reported were the result of extensive rear end body damage. They have all been vehicles sold with "rebuilt" or "salvage" titles. When an insurance company declares a vehicle "totaled" that goes onto the title.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 03:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I'm located in Northern California. As far as I know, I'm on the original battery unless the dealer changed it at some point without notifying me.
slid180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

get a 51r upgrade ... its juicier ... u just have to remove the plastic battery tray under the hood for it to fit

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in