New owner - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New owner

Hi guys,

I picked up a white, 2014 Insight SN yesterday afternoon with 64,000 kms on the clock. This was the top spec designation sold in New Zealand (Nav, reverse camera, auto lights / wipers, etc).

I wanted something safe, cheap to run, and reliable to replace my ageing 2000 Toyota Altezza I'd been driving for the past ten years.

It's going to take me a while to get used to a fuel sipping CVT, compared to a 6-speed that liked to be driven hard, but liking things so far.

Sim
redsim74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome and good luck with your new Insight.

Try "S" mode and manually paddle shift when you miss your 6 speed. There are 7 pre-defined ratios. Yon can click off ECO mode too.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks BackStreetXX,

I'll be sure to give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

redsim:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your G2.

Wow ! all the way over in NZ. We had the honor and pleasure to meet an NZ'er at the 2016 Insightfest, a G1 owner with the sign on Ivorcan (Ivor).

Lot's of good folk here on IC to share information and car stories with.

Good luck and happy Insighting.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 05-27-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome, Mountain driver!

Yes, I guess we're pretty far away from most places down here at the bottom of the world.

Looking forward to picking up some good tips and info on the new ride.

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post up some Insight in and about New Zealand pictures when you can! These Insights are a great gas sipping transport module. Totally like it, even after 3 years of ownership. Enjoy it!

[IMG]
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Foresight!

That's a well camouflaged Insight you have there

I can't promise any snow, even though we're coming into Winter here, but here's a larger version of my avatar to start things off.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsim74 View Post
Thanks Foresight!

That's a well camouflaged Insight you have there

I can't promise any snow, even though we're coming into Winter here, but here's a larger version of my avatar to start things off.

One of our windy snow falls this Winter. Had a few of those this year.

Very nice Insight. I see your NZ Honda has the 16 inch wheels and fog lamps up front that were never offered here in the US. Not sure why the company does that to us so frequently. Honda didn't make the leather interior available here either.

What size tires do they use on those wheels? Should make highway travel quite a bit better. The 15 inch wheels are fitted on our Insights over here with a fairly tall 185/60 15 tire makes for a fairly soft ride, but the sidewall squish gives the car less than stellar linear characteristics at speed, even inflated to near 40 psi.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
Very nice Insight. I see your NZ Honda has the 16 inch wheels and fog lamps up front that were never offered here in the US. Not sure why the company does that to us so frequently. Honda didn't make the leather interior available here either.

What size tires do they use on those wheels? Should make highway travel quite a bit better. The 15 inch wheels are fitted on our Insights over here with a fairly tall 185/60 15 tire makes for a fairly soft ride, but the sidewall squish gives the car less than stellar linear characteristics at speed, even inflated to near 40 psi.
Thanks! The local Honda dealer did a really nice job grooming it. Shame they didn't check the tyre pressures (which was 20psi all round ) and the floor mats "mysteriously" went missing (they've ordered me a new set).

I noticed when I was researching that the model specs could be very different between regions. My Nav system is clearly not as good as the US version, I don't even get guide lines for the reverse camera. I would have loved heated side mirrors, as I don't currently have garage space. Cruise control and reverse sensors appear to have always been standard on base models here.

The tyres are the spec size 185/55/R16. I thought they were the Dunlop Enasave 2030s it would have come with, but they're actually SP Sport 2030s. That's a touring tyre but not LRR from what I've read. Recommended pressure is still 33/32psi front/rear, but I'll up that now I know the Insight prefers something around 40psi for better mileage.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsim74 View Post
Thanks! The local Honda dealer did a really nice job grooming it. Shame they didn't check the tyre pressures (which was 20psi all round ) and the floor mats "mysteriously" went missing (they've ordered me a new set).

I noticed when I was researching that the model specs could be very different between regions. My Nav system is clearly not as good as the US version, I don't even get guide lines for the reverse camera. I would have loved heated side mirrors, as I don't currently have garage space. Cruise control and reverse sensors appear to have always been standard on base models here.

The tyres are the spec size 185/55/R16. I thought they were the Dunlop Enasave 2030s it would have come with, but they're actually SP Sport 2030s. That's a touring tyre but not LRR from what I've read. Recommended pressure is still 33/32psi front/rear, but I'll up that now I know the Insight prefers something around 40psi for better mileage.
Thanks for the info. Our Insight didn't come with Navi (or backup camera) so I can't comment on how good Honda's navigation is. I find that most built in navigation systems offered here in the States are not as good or as easily updated as iPhone. So we use the cell phone for navigation. European Insights could be had with the same type of options you have on your Insight. Not available here in the US for some odd reason.

The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 that came on the Insight here seem to roll better around 40 front and 38-39 rear psi. Check that your tire's (tyre's) max cold inflation marked on the sidewall allows 40 psi. With a lower profile tire, you should experiment a bit with pressures to see what yields the best MPG and ride. The Ecopias have very soft sidewalls and really need a bit more inflation to firm up the tire a bit. At least they are comfortable and allow efficient average operation at 53 mpg (US gallons) (4.44 L/100 KM?) calculated at the pump which is way better than the EPA estimates for this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in