Insight 2010 is theft proof! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight 2010 is theft proof!

Poor college student here: locked my keys in the car... and don't have a spare. I called a bunch of locksmiths and they said $80 to open up.

Honda said $200 for a new key.

I said, screw it, I'll try the old fashioned way so I bought some tools off Amazon. I used an air cushion to crack open the top of the door, then used a stiff but bendable metal pole to try and hit the unlock button. Try as I might, it kept slipping off, even though the button was depressed (just not depressed enough for the CLICK).

After 2 hours, I gave up. Sigh this thing is theft proof, at least.
sunsetblow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

See if any of your friends have AAA. They will need to pretend it's their car, or that they are out with you and stranded.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
See if any of your friends have AAA. They will need to pretend it's their car, or that they are out with you and stranded.
The second option is much better.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks all! I don't know anyone with AAA but I luckily was tipped off to the option of going to Honda and getting a non-chip key. $38 and it can only open the doors. Good enough for me!

Interestingly, was also able to start the car with it when I held my original key close to the ignition so it thought the chip was there.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think you just need more experience, my wife locked the keys in the car on a road trip. AAA guy had it unlocked in under 3 minutes.
i3igpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3igpete View Post
I think you just need more experience, my wife locked the keys in the car on a road trip. AAA guy had it unlocked in under 3 minutes.
Would be interested to know what tools he used!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

They use a flat bar that they slip down the outside of the window & use to pull up the lock by hooking the mechanical parts of it. If one has an EX, unlocking like this would cause the alarm to go off. One needs to get the keys locked inside and use the unlock button on them to disarm.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

The AAA guy we called used the inflatable pillow thing. Our locks are push-to-unlock which actually makes it easier to poke across to the passenger side.
i3igpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
They use a flat bar that they slip down the outside of the window & use to pull up the lock by hooking the mechanical parts of it. If one has an EX, unlocking like this would cause the alarm to go off. One needs to get the keys locked inside and use the unlock button on them to disarm.
Interesting. I had the flat bar and tried to go from the outside but gave up since I wasn't sure exactly where to hook it.

If I had been able to, I would've opened it and just jumped for the keys on the passenger seat and disarmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3igpete View Post
The AAA guy we called used the inflatable pillow thing. Our locks are push-to-unlock which actually makes it easier to poke across to the passenger side.
I had the inflatable pillow too.. I have the push to lock as well but no matter what angle we went in from, the button wouldn't depress enough to click. It went down quite far and we were confused why it wasn't activating. Strangely enough, when I got back inside, I tried the button with my finger to see exactly how much it needed to activate and it seemed (visually) to be the same as we did with the rod from the outside. HM!
Old 06-23-2017, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

i used to work for AAA

you can use your card with ANY vehicle it does not have to be yours, however YOU (cardholder) has to be there when AAA performs services

an exgirlfriend had a 2nd gen insight, airbag and long reach opened it in seconds

sunset- it is possible you fully pressed the button and the car knows the keys are in/very close to it, i usually pulled back (or forward on hondas) on the sliding lock by the handle to unlock manually.

Last edited by Hamorhead; 06-23-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Hamorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in