ZE2 Handbrake Adjustment - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ZE2 Handbrake Adjustment

Good morning all,

I have a question regarding handbrake adjustment. I was performing my most recent (and first) oil change on my (new to me) 2010 Insight LX. When resetting the maintenance minder I was directed to perform the B1 maintenance sequence. This includes adjusting the handbrake in accordance with the following statement: (paraphrased)

Ensure the handbrake raises 6-8 clicks when applying exactly 44lbf of force.

What tool is anyone using to measure this? Does Honda manufacture the tool? My local dealer was oblivious (Williamsburg Honda) What point on the handbrake arm is used to take the measurement? (Will look this up again in the FSM to be sure)

Thank you all for your time.

Very Respectfully,
Adam

2010 Honda Insight LX
1991 Nissan 300ZXTT
1987 Volvo 245DL
1972 MGB SR20DET

Last edited by mgbraceman; 06-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.
mgbraceman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

My immediate thought was just an old spring balance type scale. Hook the end at the top of the brake lever and pull the spring back till you hit 44 lbs - presumably counting the clicks as you do so.

I have no idea though if that would actually work.
redsim74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Update

Sorry for the delay and thank you for the response.

I purchased an NK-300 Analog Force Gauge / Dyno to perform this test. The gauge functioned well reading 179 Newtons of force at 8 clicks, indicating wear requiring adjustment. I am surprised that the auto adjusters do not compensate for this, though this is the first time I am checking the adjustment since purchasing the vehicle in March.

NOTE: I am a little frustrated with the dealership, Honda of Williamsburg VA and when I spoke with their senior technician he had no idea what I was talking about. So this leads me to believe that it was never adjusted correctly to begin with at the dealer and I will have to check them again to see if the self adjusters are working properly.

The procedure in the FSM worked perfectly, and when complete I re verified the required force at 8 clicks was at 199 Newtons, just 1 newton above specification which proved to be satisfactory considering the spec is 198 at 6 to 8 clicks, so perfect. I hope this is helpful for others.

Very Respectfully,
Adam

Adam

2010 Honda Insight LX
1991 Nissan 300ZXTT
1987 Volvo 245DL
1972 MGB SR20DET
mgbraceman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbraceman View Post
I am a little frustrated with the dealership
I hear you on that. I had my own dealership issues when buying mine, blank looks to questions, no reply to emails, etc ...

Glad you got it sorted out yourself.

Cheers!
redsim74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in