Thinking of buying this Insight. Is this damage superficial? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking of buying this Insight. Is this damage superficial?

First off, thank you all on here. Over the last couple of weeks you have helped me decide that the Insight will be my fist ever car (I’m over 30 but just passed my test!). I’ve looked at all the advice you have given and I am confident I know what to look for when I go and see four cheap Insights tomorrow.
One of them that looks good is an LS but it has damage on the left side skirts. It looks to me like someone tried to jack it up in the wrong place. It might be hard to tell from the photos but does this damage look bad? Would it be repairable? I am worried a little about frame damage.
If it is just superficial I was thinking the easiest way to deal with it would be to add Modulo side skirts or something similar. What do you think?

Sorry for the amount of questions and thank you all in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insight pic 1.jpg (14.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg insight pic 2.jpg (20.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by scuwiffy; 06-30-2017 at 11:27 PM.
scuwiffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

My wife has been driving a 2010 around for about three years with similar damage. In her case she scraped along something (she says a rock) in a parking lot under construction. The Insight is really low to the ground.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2017, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome!

It does not look like it is a problem. Helps to get the price down, then keep an eye out and treat it if it needs it.
The Insight is quite rust resistant: my 2011 has all sorts of scrapes and dings (only partly my doing) and no rust yet.

By the way, the jack points are about 4 inches away from the wheel well: a thickened strip on the seam, the lowest part there. Most jacks have a groove, cross or crown that locks the strip.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for the replies. Itís good to know it shouldnít be a deal breaker.

The place I am going to tomorrow actually has six for sale. I think they might be trade ins from a sales fleet or something as they all have high KMs.

Iím actually a Brit living in Japan, so used cars here are insanely cheap. Of the six, two have caught my eye, the one I talked about above and another, which is an L model. From what I understand, the main difference between the L and the LS is that the LS has the 16inch AW, VSA and the paddle shifters. The L still has the leather steering wheel and HID lights but this one has had the NAV removed Ė which from what you have said was a bit crap anyway.

So all things being equal, which of these would you go for:

LS (163,500km) Ė In the above photos with some damage. It comes with an extra set of alloys (the OEMs are in the boot) and an aftermarket NAV which isnít a great one either.

L (164,300Km) Ė No damage but no NAV at all. Original 15inch AW.

The L is about 200 US dollars cheaper but I was thinking I could sell the extra set of alloys and tires in the LS (keeping the 16s) for more than that Ė I donít have the space to store an extra set of wheels. Does the VSA make a big difference or is it just something else that can go wrong? The shifters arenít a big deal for me at all and I could probably find a set of 16s for about that price here without tires. Also, the lack of damage is appealing.

Iíve attached a photo of the L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insight pic 3.jpg (21.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Doesn't Japan have like really strict emissions requirements or something -- will you be able to register the car?

Also, you could get the damaged one, and then replace the damaged piece with one from a junkyard that's in good condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Natalya,

There are emissions tests but most cars made in the last 10 years should pass them unless there is something very wrong (I think). However, many Japanese buyers still have the image that used cars will fail, hence the low prices.

From what I know, both of these cars have had this yearsí service, which should have checked for that. The big one, shaken, is every two years. The LS is due in March 2018 and the L is August 2018 - another thing going for the L.

I should point out that the entry-level model in Japan was the G, so both of these are closer to what you got in the EX in the states. But Iím sure more of you know about the options than me.

I am not sure if there is a difference in Cruise Control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in