Trying to buy from a senior citizen. Is sitting around bad for the battery? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trying to buy from a senior citizen. Is sitting around bad for the battery?

Hey everyone.

I'm trying to purchase a 2010 LX tonight with 64K miles. The owner lives in a retirement village. I don't know yet why they are selling. The low mileage gives me concern that it may have gone through periods where it hasn't been driven very much. I know this isn't generally good for the battery in hybrids. What kind of answer here would be a deal breaker for you? If I found out it sat for 6 months, I'm gonna feel concerned and consider walking away.

Other than that everything looks pretty great for the price. Wish me luck!
RB2021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

It be fine as long as you drive it everyday,she charge right up,the more you drive the better the health of battery.,
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool. I test drove it. Seemed pretty fine. There was a slight jerking when moving the car from a full stop. That didn't seem right but I've never driven a hybrid so I have to research.

I made a lower offer, but I'm probably the first person to check this car out so she said "Thanks but no thanks. I have to talk to my son." It was a fair offer all considered, but I didn't realize that as the first person seeing the car, I wouldn't have a lot of negotiation room. Strongly considering calling back and giving the full price before it's gone.

Last edited by RB2021; 08-04-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

the jerk is common ... it probably needs a cvt fluid change ... get that done immediately of u pick it up

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

There are also software updates that may not have been done.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

I picked up the car for $5750 yesterday. 64000 miles on it. I think I'm in love. Most of my issues with the car have been solved. Needs some cleaning but that's not a real issue. I tried the coasting down from 35 trick and the reduced the jerking a good bit. I'm still learning it's quirks but I'm psyched to be rid of my gas guzzling Saturn Vue.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did you get any service history? I would get the CVT fluid changed ASAP and have a dealer connect it to the Honda service computer to check for software updates. Dealers can be very squirrely about that because of an issue they once had with Civic hybrid owners. In this case the updates are all good. The last one we owners got a letter about and you should not have to pay to have them done. (Although having the dealer do some service at the same time helps)

I would also check the engine air filter and the cabin one. If they ever got changed I bet it was a while ago. Also, check the front brake pads. They can last a ridiculously long time, but you can also have a single pad stick and not retract properly. I sounds silly to "service the brakes" but when they last a really long time (because of regerative braking) it's a good idea to make sure everything is moving smoothly. Somewhere around here is a post about some stronger return springs member Cobb found.

While I congratulate you on such a good price, it make those of us who bought new a little sad...
Old 08-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

+1000 to the CVT fluid change. In fact, if you don't have a history on the fluid changes, I recommend 3X fluid changes, one each on 3 consecutive weekends. The amount of fluid in a change is a little over half the total fluid. 3 changes will get you to 90% new fluid throughout.

Continue with CVT fluid changes every other oil change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by S Keith; 08-06-2017 at 06:44 PM.
S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

What I did was I called a dealership with the VIN and asked if they could see if there were any recalls. There should be three -- both airbags and the roof moulding. I brought the car in, and while I was talking to the service advisor, I said, "Hey if you don't mind while you're doing that work can you also check if it needs any software updates, and apply them if there are any?" They did the software for me for free this way.

Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
+1000 to the CVT fluid change. In fact, if you don't have a history on the fluid changes, I recommend 3X fluid changes, one each on 3 consecutive weekends. The amount of fluid in a change is a little over half the total fluid. 3 changes will get you to 90% new fluid throughout.

Continue with CVT fluid changes every other oil change.
The three change to get all the fluid does not apply to the 2nd generation Insight. (but it sure applies to other Honda automatics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in