Maintenance minder schedule: Does one exist? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Maintenance minder schedule: Does one exist?

So I'm a little peeved that there is no schedule so I can peak ahead and backwards with the maintenance minder.

I recently got a good deal on a used 2010 insight but because the previous owner passed away I have an incomplete service history. I'm getting the CVT and brake fluid changed this week because I know those are often overdue. Oil life is 80% so no worries there. I was told the previous owner always used synthetic so that's a good sign. I wish I knew if I should change the coolant, but my last car only needed that every 100K so I'm just guessing it's not due yet. I know the first two oil changes were down at Honda, but after that the work was done at a local shop. Seems pretty easy for the shop or the owner to decide that certain things aren't needed? This makes me nevous because at 64K the transmission lurches a bit from take offs.

I yearn for more data. I like having heads up if for nothing more than budgeting and scheduling. Does Honda really expect everyone to just drop what they are doing when the MM shows up, drive to the nearest shop and pay for service they don't see coming? I like to research and see if I can do the work myself. I just wish there was a schedule available. That's my first real gripe with this car. It's minor but practical. I'm sure once I get some fluids changed and a mechanic's once over I'll feel better.
RB2021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Doesn't the MM telling you that the oil is at 80% give you enough information to plan?

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I believe the schedule is documented in the "owners manual".
Expect routine maint. till around 100K.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unfortunately it is not documented in the manual as far as I can tell. All you get is an explanation for what each code means.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

There just is not much maintenance needed for this car. The letters & numbers relate to items as you can see. Around here we like to replace the CVT fluid every other oil change. I don't think the maint minder will set a code for that until the third or forth oil change. The only thing you may have missed besides that is engine and cabin filters. The code would have set for those at the third oil change. Both of these are easy to do yourself.
Honda figures the maintenance based on approx 10,000 mile oil change intervals. That is what the Civics were before oil life tracking was introduced.
So 30k service items show up at the third, sixth, ninth, etc oil changes. The 30 k service is just the filters, modern cars have long life coolant and don't need their valves adjusted like the old days. As you have done, brake fluid gets replaced every three years regardless of miles. When the minder calls for a tire rotation, that is when the brakes get checked. The biggie is at 105k when the Insight calls for replacing 8! Very expensive spark plugs. I think the coolant is 120k. You could always look online at older Civic hybrid owners manuals.

I bet the fluid change and the software updates will take care of the jerkiness. That and you getting used to a CVT with an engine that shuts down at stops. You learn to wait a beat before giving it gas. It irritates me enough that I shut off the eco button or just drive in S when in traffic. That and keeping the A/C on, I'm only willing to suffer so much for fuel economy.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine came with a service booklet which, astoundingly, has a service interval scheme.
There is some info on Maintenance Minder | Maintenance Schedule | Honda Owners Site but it is hardly complementary to the manual pages 350 to 360.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I've been using the "Road Trip" app on my iPhone for a while now to help me keep track of what needs doing on my cars since the truck my insight replaced. Looking at my history: I wound up replacing the serpentine belt at 96k miles (it looked fine just slightly worn, but I take my car camping and through the desert a lot), spark plugs & valve adjustment at 107k, and coolant at 118k. I'll usually wait till the maintenance minder gets down to 5% before I get tired of the orange light on my dashboard.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Doesn't the MM telling you that the oil is at 80% give you enough information to plan?

Sam
Not really if I don't know what maintenance is about to come up. I change oil myself and will learn to do the cvt fluid as well along with anything else that I can do easily. I also will likely change oil at a faster than recommended interval. Some people consider it a waste but I wouldn't mind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
There just is not much maintenance needed for this car. The letters & numbers relate to items as you can see. Around here we like to replace the CVT fluid every other oil change. I don't think the maint minder will set a code for that until the third or forth oil change. The only thing you may have missed besides that is engine and cabin filters. The code would have set for those at the third oil change. Both of these are easy to do yourself.
Honda figures the maintenance based on approx 10,000 mile oil change intervals. That is what the Civics were before oil life tracking was introduced.
So 30k service items show up at the third, sixth, ninth, etc oil changes. The 30 k service is just the filters, modern cars have long life coolant and don't need their valves adjusted like the old days. As you have done, brake fluid gets replaced every three years regardless of miles. When the minder calls for a tire rotation, that is when the brakes get checked. The biggie is at 105k when the Insight calls for replacing 8! Very expensive spark plugs. I think the coolant is 120k. You could always look online at older Civic hybrid owners manuals.

I bet the fluid change and the software updates will take care of the jerkiness. That and you getting used to a CVT with an engine that shuts down at stops. You learn to wait a beat before giving it gas. It irritates me enough that I shut off the eco button or just drive in S when in traffic. That and keeping the A/C on, I'm only willing to suffer so much for fuel economy.
This is a very helpful response thank you. I will be doing the filters myself tomorrow when amazon delivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admadan View Post
I've been using the "Road Trip" app on my iPhone for a while now to help me keep track of what needs doing on my cars since the truck my insight replaced. Looking at my history: I wound up replacing the serpentine belt at 96k miles (it looked fine just slightly worn, but I take my car camping and through the desert a lot), spark plugs & valve adjustment at 107k, and coolant at 118k. I'll usually wait till the maintenance minder gets down to 5% before I get tired of the orange light on my dashboard.
Again, thanks for the helpful info.

My last car was a Saturn vue and the maintenance was outrageous on it. It was common to dump 2K per year into it. I wasn't even getting over charged by mechanics. I did my own oil, brakes, and rear shocks... Had a friend help me change two bearings which rusted on so bad it took hours of monkeying with slide hammers, torches, and solvents to remove. The car just sucked horribly to work on. 8 iridium spark plugs is nothing if I can do it myself without pulling the engine's intake manifold off. I couldn't even change the engine air filter without a fight.

I'm so happy to have a car that will cost less.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I pretty much do the same w/the cabin & engine air filters, I have an amazon subscription that I try to push out to a year. Once they show up they go in the car.

As far as the engine oil, just so you know, I have a separate thread where I've been posting about once a year the reports from my Blackstone engine oil analysis. As far as they're concerned, for my insight, I should be good to push out the oil changes to about 12k miles.
admadan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in