Buying Help - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying Help

I'm considering buying an Insight. Right now I'm looking at a 2010 EX with 77,000 for $7200, and a 2013 EX with 25,100 for $11900. Both are in good shape mechanically and cosmetically and were well maintained. The low miles are appealing, but so is the lower price.

Which one would you recommend purchasing?
_sz_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

I think 2013s have the piston ring problem with the engine, so I'd definitely go for the 2010 EX.

I bought my 2010 LX with 86K miles on it and I've had no problems with the car. I'm at 107k now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

the price for the 2010 is way too high ... i was shocked at how much the value of this car fell according to kbb ... try nibbling him down

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 02:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think the 2013 EX will come with Bluetooth. In 2010-2011 you had to have navigation for that. I think Honda will replace the piston rings under a new extended warranty (see thread titled "anybody burning oil") But that still means you have to deal with that. I agree with the pricing comment. These tin cans have not held their value.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

The 2013 probably hasn't had its piston rings replaced due to its low miles.
You should check the VIN with Honda before you buy it to verify if they have been replaced (check out TSB 16-101), if you can get them replaced and whether you even need to; later 2013's already have the good rings.

Owners that had their rings or engine replaced under TSB 016 generally got a free loaner for the duration of the replacement, so it should not be too much of a hassle. Just make sure you get it beyond 60.000 miles before 8 year past first registry; around that mileage the excess oil consumption they cause suddenly becomes apparent, and you want that to happen before the warranty expires, not after. It is a good car except for that.

Check the VIN, check TSB 16-101, check whether it applies to you.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...17-2017-a.html
https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...rning-oil.html
https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...nsumption.html

Last edited by RedDevil; 08-31-2017 at 03:18 AM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

The 2010 ended up having issues, so I passed on it.

I checked the VIN for the 2013 at nhtsa.gov/recalls and owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls and nothing showed up.

The car has a manufacture date of 6/13, would that be considered a later 2013 model?
_sz_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sz_ View Post
The car has a manufacture date of 6/13, would that be considered a later 2013 model?
I guess so, and it seems so by your own search; but can't tell for sure. No guarantees... unless you get it straight from the Honda's mouth.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Does the oil consumption service bulletin have a VIN range?
Old 08-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dunno, searching for it yielded zilch but for this PDF:
https://honda.oemdtc.com/TSB/A16-101.pdf

Very detailed info about TSB 16-101... especially the first few pages, which outline under what (technical) conditions it applies.
The rest is a detailed illustrated explanation of the replacement procedure.

But no VIN ranges.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

To answer my own question: the bulletin says to check for eligibility by looking up the VIN on something they call the iN. So I would think one would have to ask a service writer in a dealership to run the VIN. This is not a recall so just checking the VIN online probably is not going to work. Here's a link to the Tsb:

https://honda.oemdtc.com/TSB/A16-101.pdf

This is the letter folks got:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VUWEllTzN3enpB

One should not contemplate the ownership of a complicated vehicle like an Insight without have a relationship with a local dealer you can trust. These cars have updateable software. Not your grampa's Oldsmobile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in