2010 Insight Maintenance Needs - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Red face 2010 Insight Maintenance Needs

Hi! I am new to this forum, don't know much about cars, and need some advice for my 2010 Insight with 164K miles. My car has been extremely reliable but I feel I am pushing my luck. I commute 2 hours a day for work and I am planning a road trip from MA to FL (1,400mi each way) next month. I have done the minimal amount of maintenance on my car and would like to get a check up before my next trip. However, I don't want to get ripped off at the mechanic by not having a clue about what should or needs to be repaired/replaced.
So far I have replaced the transmission fluid (90K) and I get regular oil changes. I also have had my front brakes replaced. That's it.
What do you think needs to be looked at on my car? What are the typical repairs you have done to your vehicle at this point?
Any and all insight is appreciated! Thanks!!

Last edited by michelle666; 09-06-2017 at 08:24 AM.
michelle666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

If your last transmission fluid change was at 90k miles you absolutely need to do that again as soon as possible. You also want to change BOTH (there are 2) transmission fluid filters at the same time.

It is highly unlikely that the dealership is going to want to change the inner transmission pan filter, normally they only change the exterior filter. If you have an auto mechanic friend, or even someone who is just technically inclined, maybe they can help you with this? Are you someone who likes doing the work herself? We have tutorials on how to do this with pictures if you feel up to the job.

The parts should be about $90 including shipping, the fluid you get at the dealership.

At 160 K your spark plugs also need to be replaced but you can wait on those, I don't think they are going to leave you stranded somewhere.

Both of your air filters (cabin air filter and the engine air intake) are probably dirty and should be replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Has this Insight ever been to a Honda dealer*? Did you buy it new? Have you just completely ignored the MID maintenance minder?

*besides the obvious air bag recalls, the 2010 Insights have several software updates available that can only be done at a dealer.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I did purchase the automobile brand new and pretty much all of the oil changes have been performed at the dealership. They had previously told me about the air filters but on my last oil change they said that everything was in great shape. I kind of doubted that but didn't question it because I was in a hurry.
I am not very handy with vehicles so I plan on taking it to a mechanic but I would like to know what to ask about not just blindly have him look at my vehicle and tell me to replace everything. I guess I am most worried about things that will leave me stranded or really damage the vehicle if neglected.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
If your last transmission fluid change was at 90k miles you absolutely need to do that again as soon as possible. You also want to change BOTH (there are 2) transmission fluid filters at the same time.

It is highly unlikely that the dealership is going to want to change the inner transmission pan filter, normally they only change the exterior filter. If you have an auto mechanic friend, or even someone who is just technically inclined, maybe they can help you with this? Are you someone who likes doing the work herself? We have tutorials on how to do this with pictures if you feel up to the job.

The parts should be about $90 including shipping, the fluid you get at the dealership.

At 160 K your spark plugs also need to be replaced but you can wait on those, I don't think they are going to leave you stranded somewhere.

Both of your air filters (cabin air filter and the engine air intake) are probably dirty and should be replaced.
Thanks. I appreciate the help. What about belts? I looked at a maintenance schedule and it mentioned having belts checked.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Off the top of my head I don't know about the belts. I haven't done mine but I've got only 107k miles on my 2010 Insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Inspect the belt. If any chunks are missing, or if there are more than 4 cracks per inch on the ribbed side, replace it.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is no timing belt, this engine has a chain. There is only one drive belt, I guess it really does not have a scheduled interva, just change if it shows wear. If you have been going to the dealer, I can't imagine they did not at least try to talk you into other things. Unless, as you say, you go in for an oil change and never have time for anything else.

Have you had the airbag recalls done?
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Coolant and Hoses:

Many roadside breakdowns are due to burst hoses and overheating. I've seen the telltale white cloud many times.

Replace the hoses and the coolant at the same time - makes sense. Honda coolant says 5 years or 60,000 miles.

While you are at it, I would replace the belt and keep the old one as a spare.

BTW - If you don't have AAA, this is a good time to get it. You can always cancel when you get back but it's good to have anyway.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the advice. Now I don't feel completely clueless.
I am taking my car into the dealership for an oil change and will see what they recommend. Then I will bring it to my local mechanic and compare.
I appreciate all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2010 honda insight ex, maintenance, road trip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in