ZE2 Tinker Toys? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2017, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ZE2 Tinker Toys?

I can only enviously look over to the GEN1 forums and what they tinkered there. There are some mods that I would like to have in my GEN2, but I lack time and engineering capacities to develop it myself.

Anyone done a conversion to employ the Auto-Off for longer than the prescribed 30 seconds? The 12V battery should be able to feed the car for longer than the measly 30 seconds. Since I spend a long time queueing waiting for congested intersections to pass, I can see the fuel consumption rise while waiting. The first cycle, the Auto-Stop engages, but then - crawling up to the intersection - the engine restarts way before I move and since I never exceed 12 km/h the Auto-Stop never resets and the engine continues to run. That's mad.

Also, one should be able to engage/disengage the IMA assist/charge. There are stretches where I KNOW the IMA is useless and it will only give me an empty battery which I then need to have recharged on petrol and just when it's full, I get a long downhill stretch where I could have used gravity...

Unfortunately, Honda decided to discontinue lean burn for the GEN2....
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I know retepsnikrep has been tinkering with some gen2 Civic MCM/BCM/ECM stuff and thought it might be applicable or helpful for gen2 Insights.

I think he put our a call for cars to tinker with or a junkyard computer set from England-proximate owners but no one stepped up. Maybe that can be you .

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Once I have moved house and got setup, then yes some of my HCH2 research may well be applicable to a Gen2. Watch this space and keep your eye on the hch2 stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Have you got all the software updates from Honda for the car? There's a recall update they have to perform for free, and usually they do the other two software updates for free as well. My car has been running great since getting those.

Also, Auto-Stop lasts way longer (+5 minutes) if you know you're going to come to a stop and you press the Off button for the climate control before you get down to about 24 mph.

It is also possible to wire this car with a full-regen brake switch like you can do with the G1 Insight.

Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Been at the local Honda dealer for CVT fluid change and checking for updates. They said everything is ok. No, I do not have the A/C on and no, I only have the fan on lowest and not on any defrost/demist setting - just straight through.
Still, the car switches off nicely, but only for about 30'ish seconds. It could, without lights, fan, radio - stay on Auto Off for hours.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Try pressing the off button and see what it does.

What year is your car?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't have an off-button. 2010 Gen2. Eco is on, green plant in dash is lit.
A/C is explicitly off. No need for it here in Ireland. Only in very wet winter days, when the car just fogs up. Summers are rarely hot enough to warrant A/C use.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Sorry I meant the off button for climate. Like, try turning climate completely off, no fan, nothing before you come to a stop.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK, will switch everything completely off. Even the fan. Will try tomorrow on the commute.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Affirm. Hit the climate OFF button (under the round Auto button) well before coming to a stop, like when still going 15 mph or faster.
AutoStop will come on and last for minutes on end, even if you activate the fan again once AutoStop is lighting up.
It apparently determines how long AutoStop should last when invoking it and won't deviate no matter what you do with the controls after that.

During AutoStop the hybrid battery and DC-DC converter keep feeding the 12V system. So it does not run down your 12V battery at all.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in