GEN2 Steering wheel controls and reversing cam - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default GEN2 Steering wheel controls and reversing cam

I have a GEN2 with the Japonese navigation/headunit.
Anyone got an idea of how the steering wheel controls and reversing cam is connected? CAN-bus or separate wires, if separate, which wires?

Reason: I got it paired with my cellphone, but for the life of me, I can't answer phones. I can press the button on thew steering wheel, the mobile picks up, but microphone and speaker of the headunit stay off. Frustrating. I might have to utter "Answer phone" in Japonese, methinks, not?
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have you set the language to English?
If you successfully paired your phone I bet you have.

When you get called a tap on the Talk button should take on the call over the speakers, no further exchange required.
When you make the call you could say Call zero one five (etc, the number) after you pushed the button and it gave a soft beep.
Then it should answer 'Would you like to call ...' plus an approximation of the number you gave; you then push the button and say Yes and it says 'Calling ...' and that should be it.

But a Japanese unit. Challenging
Maybe try to find a Japanese manual and use Google translate to see if it acts differently from Western units in some way.

Last edited by RedDevil; 10-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nope. It still is Japonese. I used Google's online translator to pair the mobile to the radio. But unfortunately, I can accept a call with the steering wheel buttons, I can hang up, too - but microphone and speakers are off....
So I want to replace the Honda unit with an aftermarket double-DIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Japanese should know darn well their used cars get exported to right hand drive countries in droves. Most of those countries are English speaking. You would think they would be more accommodating.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, they have different units for different countries. In Japan they come with an integrated Service Concept like GM On-STAR. Obviously they don't have it here, hence different radios. They also have different FM standards in Japan. I can switch the unit for $350 to a more capable modern one, but I need the steering controls and the reverse cam.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

No luck with the language settings (see page 76 from the manual: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...1/M81111OM.pdf)?

Mine has 6 different languages including Japanese...
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

It has every language as long as it's Japanese.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
I have a GEN2 with the Japonese navigation/headunit.
Anyone got an idea of how the steering wheel controls and reversing cam is connected? CAN-bus or separate wires, if separate, which wires?

Reason: I got it paired with my cellphone, but for the life of me, I can't answer phones. I can press the button on thew steering wheel, the mobile picks up, but microphone and speaker of the headunit stay off. Frustrating. I might have to utter "Answer phone" in Japonese, methinks, not?
I own the Japanese model with the righthand wheel.
You should remove the radio unit to learn model and an arrangement of exits. Maybe then I will be able to help you.
I have a Clarion NX310 radio unit. I found on official Japan site, the guide to connection of all devices and have mounted independently the camera of a rear and forward view. Also I use the radio unit in Japanese, for this purpose I have translated the Japanese user's guide, without any problems with the main functions.
The Japanese Honda models are produced only for domestic market of Japan and don't provide other languages (it sad).
But the radio unit of excellent quality with a good sound and work in any weather (-40C to + 50C).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telegram:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gms24ru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

I replaced my Honda radio with a Kenwood Excelon double-din unit. I wired my own backup camera to it. (I have an LX which didn't come with the fancy electronics.) It has bluetooth but I never use that. But I have occasionally plugged an AUX cord into my phone and used the stereo for calls.

I wouldn't get a Honda unit, I'd go full aftermarket. You might find a shop that can do this for you.

Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 02:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

@gms24ru I like the quality of the original radio. Sounds good, has CAN bus connection and reverse camera. I believe it's good - as most JDM stuff is.
Thing is, it connects my mobile, but I can't use the handsfree as I may accept the call, but it won't connect microphone and speakers - no comms. Since it's an offence to hold the mobile in your hand with the engine on, it's imperative to be able to operate the phone from the steering wheel controls.
My Insight doesn't have a rear window wiper and came with tinted rear windows - hence visibility is bad and I have to rely on the rear view camera for parking.
@Natalya The "official" Honda unit over here is a) outdated and b) prohibitively expensive. I can get a much better Android unit with better screen for about $350. All I need is to wire it up in a way that I can use the phone controls and the rear view camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in