Howdy - new guy with an Insight :)! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Howdy - new guy with an Insight :)!

Hello all! I've been lurking and learning for a while, but now I have an Insight, so time to join up and come out of the shadows!

I found a 2010 MY, single owner who had all the maintenance done at local dealer. Carfax showed pretty consistent use, and at least 4 CVT fluid changes in the first 100K miles. Car now has 137k miles and really looks in good shape. Seller was asking $4,000 and accepted a $3,600 offer.

I'm really happy, spent the first day washing and waxing my new baby. I've already ordered new CVT fluid and filters. Planning on changing engine oil and trans fluid/filters just to have a baseline. I had to check mileage after the first 100 miles, refilled at same gas station and pump. Car indicated 50.9 MPG, calculated was 50.2, so that seems pretty accurate.

I'll post a couple of pics after I have enough posts.
tervic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome
Nice work on a first post, giving basic information like model year and current odometer reading. You didnít give your location or what trim level you have. Your location goes in your profile & then it shows up under your username. It kinda matters because Insights were sold all over the world.

I think, because it has had regular service, you can just go by the oil life in the MID. It really works and will keep you from recycling perfectly good oil. Is this your first Honda? You should get new crush washers for the drain plugs. Or just be careful not to over tighten a reused one.

A good reminder that waxing can effect fuel mileage!
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the welcome!

You are right, I did not say where, it is fixed now. The model is an EX, no nav.

This is indeed my first Honda. Are the crush washers the same part for both engine and trans drain plugs?

I noticed recommendations for Gen 1 cars to get a quick drain. I've had them on other vehicles, are the Gen 2 oil pan threads easily damaged as well?

MID says oil life 70%, given your advice maybe I'll wait for a while on oil change.

The CVT fluid arrived yesterday, waiting for the filters to show up so that I can change them and see how inside of tranny looks. Previous owner used one dealer for first 100k miles then moved. Second dealer didn't report as much to Carfax. I'm hopeful that the trans fluid was changed, but if not I do have records that it was last done at the big 100k service.

According to the service record, valve clearances were adjusted then, but engine still seems to have more valve noise (tapping) than I would expect. Do these clearances change quickly?

Thanks for any advice.

Tervic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

the valve tap is normal

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Post about drain washer sizes:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...tml#post194437
Old 10-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the info! Once all the other goodies arrive, I'll change the trans fluid and see how things are. I notice that it seems slow to engage gear when first starting out and cold. I've been putting it in gear and letting it roll a little before easing into the throttle. Seems to like that better.

Hopefully I don't have a transmission issue, of course I test drove the car when temps were warm and the car was already warmed up. (Couldn't help that, previous owner was a lady who didn't feel comfortable meeting a stranger at her home off of a Craigslist ad).
Old 10-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

the tranny is unique and took some getting used to for me as i only drove geared autos with torque converters and manuals with a clutch before my I2 ... the CVT with automatic clutch has a personality all its own ... once you go through all the seasons you'll get a better feel for it

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tervic View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

You are right, I did not say where, it is fixed now. The model is an EX, no nav.

This is indeed my first Honda. Are the crush washers the same part for both engine and trans drain plugs?

I noticed recommendations for Gen 1 cars to get a quick drain. I've had them on other vehicles, are the Gen 2 oil pan threads easily damaged as well?

MID says oil life 70%, given your advice maybe I'll wait for a while on oil change.

The CVT fluid arrived yesterday, waiting for the filters to show up so that I can change them and see how inside of tranny looks. Previous owner used one dealer for first 100k miles then moved. Second dealer didn't report as much to Carfax. I'm hopeful that the trans fluid was changed, but if not I do have records that it was last done at the big 100k service.

According to the service record, valve clearances were adjusted then, but engine still seems to have more valve noise (tapping) than I would expect. Do these clearances change quickly?

Thanks for any advice.

Tervic
Congrats on the Insight, and that's a great price!

Aside: Actually curious why Insights depreciate so much; they are almost always cheaper than Honda Fits of the same model year and far cheaper than Honda Civics. I personally chose the Insight so I could get Honda handling and interior (which I've always liked having rented Fits and Civics before) for dang cheap price. Do people not have faith in the NiMh battery or what?

Also curious if you and @jcbesq have perfectly smooth CVTs. I'm totally used to mine, but it is still noticeably jerky when under 15MPH (both accelerating and braking). It's as if it's trying to adjust ratios but doing it way too abruptly. I've owned my Insight for the past 8,000 miles and did a CVT fluid change at the beginning of my ownership which didn't do a darn thing about the jerkiness. It also hasn't gotten worse, however.

Last edited by vosinsight; 11-11-2017 at 09:35 PM.
vosinsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jerkiness is due to switching on/off the combustion engine.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

vosinsight, give us a rundown, like tervic did, of your Insight. (Year, trim, current miles) and we may have specific advise for you.

Why do Insight depreciate so much? Well Honda decided to make the cheapest hybrid not the nicest. The auto press were less than excited. Honda cannot seem to put sound insulation in their cars. I kind of blame their Acura division. They get all the goodies. (That’s finally changing)

You are not going to compete with Prius with the loud, uncomfortable tin can our Insights are. Now they handle like a Honda and are certainly more fun to drive, but those if us who like that are the minority. Some of us like having the speedo & tach in front of the driver. (A Prius diss)
Also, when they were first introduced, Honda was coming off some bad press concerning the Civic hybrid. Failing IMA battery packs do give used car buyer pause. It helps to be in a CARB state where the warranty is longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in