IMA and CEL on - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default IMA and CEL on

Hi everyone!

Last night I was driving on the highway, probably cruising downhill and then my dash lights up with Check IMA and the CEL came on as well. I'm going to take it to AutoZone to run the codes to see what's going on. I'm really hoping it's not the IMA battery.

Some background info: 2010 Insight, has 125k miles on it, driven daily. After some research it seems that I don't get as good of MPG as some of you do, at around 43 (so maybe it is the IMA).

Also, was reading on a different forum that Honda Hybrids perform better if driven daily however since it had the Takata airbags, there was about 3 months it sat until Honda could replace them (they got me a rental). In the other forum someone said if they sit then it messes with the IMA...is that true?

Thanks!
Alexsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

While you're there have them load test your 12V battery. This is a common problem with G2 Insights.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think the IMA battery should handle the 3 months inop, though it is never a good thing.
The 12V battery certainly does not. If they let it run down then recharge it before handing it to you, the damage has been done.

Most likely one of the 6 cells was slightly emptier than the others and inverted, pushed below 0V by the other cells. It then gets damaged and from there on self discharges faster than the rest. The Insight does not charge the 12V cells hard, so the other (full) cells prevent the emptier cell from getting up to charge. It will gradually sink down to empty while the rest is full.

You can test the state of your battery by running the lights and radio engine off.
It should be able to maintain that for say half an hour, but if your 12V battery is bad the voltage will drop within minutes and you'll get all kind of strange errors on the MID as each system faults over low voltage. One of those systems is the IMA control logic...

The 12V battery is a known weak point of the G2 insight. Luckily they come relatively cheap.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Also, if you would but your location in your profile, we could tell you what the warranty on the IMA is. (If you are in a CARP state it is 10 years or 150k)
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry about that, thought my location would show up from my profile. I am in San Antonio, TX. From what I see it is not a CARB state I took it by AutoZone and the code that came up was P0A7F Battery Module Deterioration. Since I'm Type A and have researched this and someone reminded me to do it before I took it in. I also had them check my 12V battery. It tested as good with the car off, it's only a few months old, so I assumed it would. When the car started it hesitated a little and the AZ guy said he thinks it's something with the starter. I took the car over to a mechanic we trust and he said there's no way he can do anything as it's the IMA battery and he can't even get one sold to hime (and he doesn't recommend after market one...which from what I see people on the forums are happy with??). Anyway, I have an appointment with the dealership to diagnose it but if it needs a new IMA I don't know what to do. I am not sure an additional $3K is worth putting into this car or getting a different car altogether (which I also don't really want to do since we just bought a new car). Any thoughts or ideas? TIA!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I guess my other question is. Is there a way to drive and the car function as if it were a conventional car without the IMA on and the car function indefinitely until something more serious happens or were ready for a new car anyway? Will that screw the car up? Will it start without a problem?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

3 months is an atrocious amount of time to leave the car sitting. Great way to kill a hybrid battery in any car - IMA in particular - especially since you're in a hot climate.

Try this:
Disconnect 12V for 60 seconds.
Reconnect 12V
Start car and allow the IMA to charge at idle until it stops charging

Repeat above 3X

See if the P0A7F stays away. If not, you need a new IMA battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
3 months is an atrocious amount of time to leave the car sitting. Great way to kill a hybrid battery in any car - IMA in particular - especially since you're in a hot climate.

Try this:
Disconnect 12V for 60 seconds.
Reconnect 12V
Start car and allow the IMA to charge at idle until it stops charging

Repeat above 3X

See if the P0A7F stays away. If not, you need a new IMA battery.
Will this turn the CEL light off? Currently that's the only light showing up on my dash.considering canceling my appointment at the dealer tomorrow AM and trying this instead in the hopes this takes care of it, at least until I can get it around my dad or grandpa and they can help me a little bit. I'm a newbie and they've at least worked on cars before (granted not a hybrid). This thing is an experiment for all of us.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yes. A 12V reset will clear all codes.

CEL w/o IMA means the IMA fault isn't active, but the CEL remains until X successful drive cycles w/o the fault condition present.

Possibly a good sign.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Yes. A 12V reset will clear all codes.

CEL w/o IMA means the IMA fault isn't active, but the CEL remains until X successful drive cycles w/o the fault condition present.

Possibly a good sign.

Saying a prayer it's a good sign!

My husband informed me today that he noticed the IMA light and CEL light come on last time he was a little further north. He thinks it's something to do with the weather. It was cooler up in Tulsa and over the last 24 hours, it's probably dropped about 30-40 degrees, into the upper 30/lower 40s. So maybe he is on to something...this would be the first time it's acting like this in the cold though.

Any thoughts on just turning off the IMA and using the car as a conventional car, if the IMA battery needs to be replaced? I'm happy with even decent MPG as long as I am not just fixing the car for the short term. I fully plan on us being the last owners of this car and driving it into the ground, but I want it to last for a few more years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2010 insight, check engine light, ima battery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in