Greetings again.. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Greetings again..

After about 6 year absence, I return with tales of the 2010 Honda Insight.

Over the 8 years, 2 months, and 1 week of owning the insight here are the collective details.

1) I've driven 145K km on it and I still love it, my wife drives it with our daughter these days.

2) Averaging 5.4L/100km (~43.6 MPG US), this is slowing going up, until last year I was averaging 5.2L/100km (~45.2 MPG US).

3) My best full gas tank to ~0.5 L left was 4.7L per 100km (~50 MPG), that was a little over 820 km of driving.

4) I've installed a baby seat in the back, the only place it fits is the passenger back, and only specific models of baby seats work, the front gets uncomfortable unless you're a small person, or wish to nap on the dash.

5) I've had the dealership maintained all this except for a few things noted below. They also did the airbag recall, and the rubber stripping, and ECU updates on it.

6) I was on the original OEM tires for 105K km (with 3mm left on it), rotated with my original Toyo Observe GO2 (winters) - lasted to 135K km. That was about 70K km on OEM, and 65K km on the Toyos.

7) I had my front fender taken out in the parking lot by a careless S.O.B in a pickup with several witness around. Replaced at a body shop, the quoted difference was just crazy ~ 1K difference.

8 ) I replaced my side markers, dome lights, the security light (the 2 small ones near the DRL) and trunk lights with LEDs. I still need to do the ones in the back light assembly and plates. The side markers and security light burnt out around 120K km, and after the fender bender, so I decided to go LED all the way.

9) I've gone through 4 complete set of wipers as of this winter.

10) I finally had to change the original OEM 151R battery after 145K KM with a 51R. It actually showed signs of failing last year but the dealer claimed 80% good, and this year after my winters were put in the dealer said the same (but 75%) -- and a no need to replace. But with the first major cold spell the battery died in my driveway refusing to start.

I still love my insight (and it remained fairly stock until recently), it's no speed demon, but it's provided first me then my new family a stable, dependable, and great driving experience!

I was sad to hear they end of life it, and I'm looking for another 4 to 5 years out of the Insight hoping to see a Gen 3 out by then!
nameless00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

What summer tires did you end up getting? I'm doing about 3 MPG better than your stats using Bridgestone Ecopias sized 175/65/R15. Ecopias were spec'd for 2011's and above, but in 2012 they switched to a larger tire size.

I also run my tires at 48 PSI which is a bit higher than sidewall. But I also have coroplast panels under the bottom of the car to smooth the air flow, so maybe our numbers would be about the same if I removed them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
What summer tires did you end up getting? I'm doing about 3 MPG better than your stats using Bridgestone Ecopias sized 175/65/R15. Ecopias were spec'd for 2011's and above, but in 2012 they switched to a larger tire size.

I also run my tires at 48 PSI which is a bit higher than sidewall. But I also have coroplast panels under the bottom of the car to smooth the air flow, so maybe our numbers would be about the same if I removed them.
I ended up getting Toyo Versado Eco 175/65/R15 (All seasons - which just means late spring, summer, and mid fall to me) -- They were the lightest ones the dealer had at the time. Quality of them overall seems average, I had a flat 2 months after the tires were replaced (leakage out the side wall), then 12 months after that the same happen on the opposite side. Neither Toyo nor the dealer would pro-rate neither tire saying wear and tire. I suspect I had 2 defectives ones still.

The PSI does make a difference in the mileage (~0.5 L/100 km, ~1 MPG US), but if I put in more than 5 PSI over the Versado's tends to "screech" when it hugs the road on roundabouts or tight turns. I run them at 1 or 2 PSI higher than recommended, on the old OEM (Dunlops), I had them at 7 PSI over recommended with out the same issues.

I think the worsening mileage in the last year were a combination of bad 12v battery and dual drivers now. I had been using an EeePC to log it all but when the Raspberry PI came out I switched, then again when the Raspberry Pi Zero with the OBD-II to log all the data and dump it into a spreadsheet, the difference in driver use is about 1L/100KM which is enough to slowly track the decline in good mileage. The leaf training I had and did really trained me to drive the insight differently than my wife's regular car driving habits.

I love the shield idea on the bottom of the car, unfortunately I don't have access to anything that will allow me to make or install something that fancy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Hah, sure you do, all you need is some screws and a trip to Home Depot for a 4' x 8' coroplast panel. I think it costs about $25 CDN for a full sheet. You can sorta fold it in half and jam it inside the G2 Insight trunk closed fully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was thinking of actually getting under the car to find a good spot to put it into or actually have enough clearance to use a drill..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in