Potential purchase-2010 Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potential purchase-2010 Insight

So for the past year or so, I've been interested in purchasing an insight. Ever since I was in high school, I always loved the look of the 1st Gen Manuals in Citrus...aaah, the dreams of youth.

Now, however, I have to be more realistic in my goals. My partner cant/won't drive a stick shift, and after years of driving 30+ year old Accords, I've decided it's time to buy something made in the last decade.

A local dealer has on lot a 2010 Insight LX in Red with 160k miles and is asking $3,995.

No rust, no codes showing on the dash. I took it for a drive, and really enjoyed it. The IMA appears to be charging and assisting properly. Carfax shows maintenance to the A/C, tires, etc but no majors, no accidents, not even a dent on the car.

The 12v battery needed a jump to start, but after that seemed to run well. I'm nervous however, as the battery is definitely out of warranty and my understanding is that the 2nd gen insights don't have an alternator and therefor can't really run without an IMA in good shape.

On Thursday I'm going in to meet with their salesperson to discuss what financing options might be available (credit building exercise) and I will have another opportunity to look at the car before making a decision. Is there anything I should be specifically looking for? Is there any part of the software that will allow me to check the 'health' of the IMA battery?
wheelhorse2347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sadly, since I don't have enough posts, it won't allow me to link to the Carfax or the dealers page.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

I'd mostly be worried about the CVT, like whether or not the previous owner did the transmission fluid changes when they were supposed to. There are also 3 software updates related to the IMA battery, if those are done then it should last to 200K miles. The 12v battery sounds dead and needs to be replaced. Has the car been sitting a long time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Based on the price reduction, and the surface rust on the rotors (plus the time I've been considering it) I'd say it probably has sat for more than a month. As for the CVT, I can check the fluid color/condition. The Carfax report lists many many oil changes, but doesn't seem to show any transmission fluid changes. That said, there isn't any 'judder' as I have experienced in the 05 HCH models. It accelerates smoothly and quickly as compared to my '88 Honda.

I commute 60+ miles daily, mostly highway, and would hate to have transmission issues while still paying off the car. My understanding is that the CVT trans is a pricey one to repair. We just put a trans in my partners 00 Civic, and at the end it was a hair over 2k.

As far as battery pack replacement, I'm a maintenance technician and about half of what I do involves 480V AC so Im confident I can manage that.

I guess in the end, it's a used car, and you get what you get for that. Being the first time I've considered financing a car, it makes me a bit nervous.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Attached are the dealers pictures from the website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insight1.jpg (49.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg insight2.jpg (41.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg insight3.jpg (40.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg insight4.jpg (34.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

If the 12V battery had to be jumped it is toast and should be replaced.
Once a cell has gone flat it will short ever so slightly, so it will self discharge.
However, the other 5 cells are full and prevent the empty cell from getting properly recharged... so it gets more and more out of line until it is practically empty.

The CVT fluid needs to have been changed on a regular interval. However, there are many cases of CVT's where the fluid had not been changed but they still work even with respectable mileage. And the one CVT that failed early on, despite proper servicing, probably due to a faulty bearing.
So if it runs right and has proper service history it should not worry you. If it hasn't, but has been changed now and runs nice anyway it is likely still good. If it is a dog walk away from it.

The traction battery will be lazy from not having been used for a while - mine was - but that may just right itself over time, especially since your commute is long.

I don't like the warning in the display on the dealer pics. But it had to be jumped, so it will have generated error codes from systems not getting enough voltage. That would need to clear over a handful of starts. If it does not there's trouble.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

I saw that too as I downloaded the dealers pics, though they are too blurry for me to tell what they are. When I test drove it, after they jumped it there were no warning lights on the dash. I probably drove it for about 15-20 minutes city driving topping out around 55mph and no lights came on or codes were thrown. Id heard there's a way to see the code history and when it was cleared?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
If it is a dog walk away from it.
By that, you mean if the transmission seems underpowered/boggy?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...ZE2H59AS034611

Here are the Carfax
Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

What sort of dealer is selling this car?
From the CARFAX, it does not look like it has ever been back to a Honda dealer since the end of that first short lease. So it probably has not had the software updates. The airbag recall is also open. Both of those can still be done at a Honda dealer. Itís probably better that the Sears auto centers never changed the CVT fluid if there was any chance they might use the wrong fluid. I would get that changed ASAP, using only real Honda CVT fluid. I bet it is past due on a brake fluid replacement as well (every three years regardless of miles)

Beyond that, just check itís value with blue book and donít pay too much.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in