CANBUS for headlights? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Default CANBUS for headlights?

H4 LED Headlight Kit | H4 LED Foglight Upgrade

I got this exact pair for my G1 Insight, and I like them. I want to get them for my G2. But the G2 has CANBUS. I'm wondering if I need the CANBUS option for the G2? Or does the car not have a sensor for the headlights? I'm not sure how this works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

In some cases, there is a light sensor (located on the glass).
Nobody made light control through the CANBUS. But it's interesting.
I want to caution, the use of powerful diode headlights, can spoil the reflector and lens. https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...enclosure.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telegram:

gms24ru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

There are cars that control light via CANbus. There are cars with CAN sensors that sense current flow and detect blown bulbs. The Insight has some CANbus controls. If you have the light sensor on the passenger side of the dash, if your driver display warns you about broken bulbs, then you also have CAN sensoring. IMHO the Insight Gen2 only has CANbus control.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have CANBUS HIDs in my Insight, but I know other Insighters who have non-CANBUS HID kits and run them with no issues.

One of my HID lamps went bust. Luckily I had a reserve pair (they are very cheap anyway but shipping from China takes a month). No warning on the dash.
I've been messing around with the headlights but have not triggered any warning whatsoever.

The ballasts may produce a high-frequency signal from the power modulator inside, but apparently the ZE2 doesn't care.
LEDs have power regulators too and may cause interference with the radio, so that would be a thing to watch out for if you do use the radio.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Default Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I have CANBUS HIDs in my Insight, but I know other Insighters who have non-CANBUS HID kits and run them with no issues.

One of my HID lamps went bust. Luckily I had a reserve pair (they are very cheap anyway but shipping from China takes a month). No warning on the dash.
I've been messing around with the headlights but have not triggered any warning whatsoever.

The ballasts may produce a high-frequency signal from the power modulator inside, but apparently the ZE2 doesn't care.
LEDs have power regulators too and may cause interference with the radio, so that would be a thing to watch out for if you do use the radio.
Good advice ref radio, couldn't do without it here in Ireland, lots of long early journeys to and from school/sports
Garrydhu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrydhu View Post
Good advice ref radio, couldn't do without it here in Ireland, lots of long early journeys to and from school/sports
Just hearsay as my own HID headlights and all the LEDs elsewhere do not cause radio interference. Fingers crossed.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in