A/C mods or better cooling tips ??????? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry A/C mods or better cooling tips ???????

2010 Honda Insight

Hi its 116*F today and im melting the A/C in this car is real junk. When i reach a stop the A/C cooling is sooo weak but when i get up back to driving it starts cooling fair to okay.

I added freon and overfilled it to the point where the AC wouldn't turn on and then i had to let some out.....shhh and brought the pressure back to where i started I saw some cool idea of someone using a pool noodle to cover the low return line to help but i bet that's a stupid idea as it would melt and cause a fire. My radiator seems fine the coolant looks fairly clean and is between low and high. so what gives!!!!!!!???? my only guess is the fans are weak and when at a stop they cant keep up but when driving the help of the wind cools..

so my question is...... what else can i do for cold air???

> new cabin filter in (done)
> windows are tintied (done)
> new freon added......then removed :/ (done)
>maybe a type of heat resistant piple foam? (will try)
Ali2627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Good Day. I just purchased my 2010 Insight last fall and have encountered similar issues. Tried topping up coolant but it was fine. Switched off ECON mode when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. At best I would get 10-15 minutes of cool air but would gradually fade out to blasting furnace hot air if I left the fans on. Was looking at the AC relay and picked up a 39794-SDA-A05 relay from the dealership... but Im not sure now if thats the right one. Beyond swapping out the relay, (or jumpering it to kepp it always on) Im not sure theres much else can be done. Sorry for the hijack but can someone confirm if this part above is correct for the AC relay? Thanks a bunch for any help.
Roots73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

its fine hah i think its just the cars limited resource. The radiator and fan is weak since its a small engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Set at lowest temperature

Turn the temperature setting as low as it will go to avoid the "reheat" feature of your A/C system. If you get too cold, you can always shut it off until you warm up.

You may get icing up in which case you will not get any cooling. You will have to wait for the coil to thaw out before cooling can resume.

Last edited by Hugh-Falls; 07-07-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Hugh-Falls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-Falls View Post
Turn the temperature setting as low as it will go to avoid the "reheat" feature of your A/C system. If you get too cold, you can always shut it off until you warm up.
i'd like to add im not a dummy* ofc its on low
Old 07-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

What is the temp reading on the air outlet on the dash?
If you have around 55 F that is about the lowest you will get.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I typed out some advise on this this morning, but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, the first thing is to go beyond just turning off ECO, which helps a little, to just driving, in traffic, in S instead of D. This will keep the engine, and the A/C compressor running. This car does not have electric cooling like some hybrids. No engine, no cool. When it’s hot, I don’t give a rats about fuel economy.

The other thing is to actually not set it on low, but to select a very cold setting, it just seems to cool better. This has been discussed around here before. My wife, the primary Insight driver in our household, collaborates this. And believe me, she wants it as cold as possible. The A/C has never been off in 130,000 miles.

Last edited by egads; 07-07-2018 at 09:18 PM.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali2627 View Post
i'd like to add im not a dummy* ofc its on low
(Some folks will take offense because the directions on a cake mix box do not say "please".)

No offense implied, if the temperature setting is on the low extreme, the compressor will not shut down and will run constantly unless YOU switch it off.
Hugh-Falls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the input but its way to common, guys or girls i need advance tips. Like im not even talking about settings ive maxed out those of cooling. Now im thinking of using flameproof pipe insulation to cover the entire A/C low line.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
What is the temp reading on the air outlet on the dash?
If you have around 55 F that is about the lowest you will get.

HTH
Willie
not sure what you mean, the temp for outside air you can see on the dash? its like 111*F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in