Drive a 2010 Insight daily and park it in extreme heat, or leave it in the garage? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which is better for the long term health of a 2010 Insight in extreme heat?
Drive it daily to work in the summertime and leave it parked outside in extreme heat 2 66.67%
Leave it garaged in the summertime and drive it only once per week and never in the afternoon 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Drive a 2010 Insight daily and park it in extreme heat, or leave it in the garage?

I have read that not driving an Insight regularly is bad for it. Is it enough to drive once per week?

Because I live in extremely hot summers, I was thinking I could leave my Insight mostly garaged during the hot months. This means I would simply drive another vehicle. I could drive the Insight early in the day, once per week, in order to keep it running well.

Would that be worse for the Insight than driving it daily? If I were to drive the Insight daily in the summertime, it would get extremely hot while parked on a black asphalt parking lot while I am working. There is no shaded or covered parking where I work.
hot_desert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 05:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Good question. Not driving it is possibly as bad as having it experience high temperatures. Both kill the batteries.
Once per week for a prolonged period of time - deffo more than "once around the pudding" should be the best compromise.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

First, you have a hybrid. It needs to be driven to experience the benefit. Second, not sure where you are, but we get a little heat here in Phoenix.

Drive it daily.
Use the A/C generously.
Use a sunshade in the front window.
Park so the sunshade blocks the sun directly as much as possible.
Crack the windows 1/4 inch.
Drive for the first 1/2 mile with the windows 1/2 way down or more to flush the hot air out with the A/C running full blast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Drive it.... its a car don't baby it your good up to 150*F look at the door jam the only problem maybe would be if its a 120*F day and you park it in direct sunlight all day then maybe it would reach close to 150*F or 160*F but im sure its not that burning hot everyday ... its safe to drive and park when temps are under 105*F doesn't matter in sun or not. Its summer here and i don't have a garage or shade its out on the street from morning until night.
Ali2627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2018, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

In Siberia, there are no such high temperatures.
But there are very low temperatures.
At very low temperatures I leave the car in the garage and use public transport.

Telegram:

gms24ru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

You can drive it, but let out the heat if parked in the sun. If the sun has been bearing down on the dash the air coming from the vents will be scorching, so run the fans with the windows open for a minute or two before starting the engine.
Once driving, close the windows and use A/C. Be generous with the cold. The battery gets vented with cabin air, so if you're comfortable so is the hybrid battery.

I park in the shade when it is hot (in tropical Holland) and use a sunscreen if I can't get shade. I do have a set of black net shades for the rear sides and back window but did not get around mounting them yet, not that big an issue here.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Today and during the next seven days, the high temperatures here are forecasted to be up to 110 F and as low as 105 F (highs, not lows). During many summers, it is typical to see highs reach 120 F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali2627 View Post
its safe to drive and park when temps are under 105*F doesn't matter in sun or not.
It's too bad my Insight is not equipped with manual windows. I usually try to avoid operating power windows so they will not break or wear out. Usually I also avoid leaving windows cracked open so that dirt will not blow in. But now that I own a hybrid I will have to change many of my habits.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Power window failures are very uncommon. Just keep the run channels lubed with silicone grease because extreme heat & cold can make them sticky.

Costco often has a carport gazebo like stucture sized to a car. My friends bought one for their back yard to put appliances and crates into when doing a whole house remodel. Perhaps you could use one at your job site?
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

My windows are not tinted. Is it possible that window tinting will help to keep temperatures down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in