conversion from nimh to li-ion - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default conversion from nimh to li-ion

Hi ,I'm new to this forum and to the honda hybrid world I own a 2008 HCH and the hybrid battery has failed having the IMA and check engine light on .I would like to convert from nimh to li-ion INR 18650 samsung 3.7v 44s10p pack or lipo with orion bms 72S and use all the original charging equipment like old bms just faul it . Has any one done some thing like this before and please give me your thoughts .I will also be documenting on video to share with you guys...thank you and have a great day.
John B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Hi ,I'm new to this forum and to the honda hybrid world … I own a 2008 HCH and the hybrid battery has failed having the IMA and check engine light on .I would like to convert from nimh to li-ion INR 18650 samsung 3.7v 44s10p pack or lipo with orion bms 72S and use all the original charging equipment like old bms just faul it . Has any one done some thing like this before and please give me your thoughts .I will also be documenting on video to share with you guys...thank you and have a great day.
This is an Insight Forum. You should consider searching before you continue posting. This topic has been discussed in detail many times and there are at least a few active threads on it within the last few days.

Your proposed battery won't work at all unless you plan to limit charge current to 12.5A when the car will pump in excess of 50A. If you're not planning to limit charge current, then you've failed to consider that LiPo charge and discharge currents are usually vastly different. For the cells you identified, they are limited to 1.25A charge or a 4A fast charge. Fast charging will generate a lot of heat and be inefficient and hard on the cells.

Specs: http://dalincom.ru/datasheet/SAMSUNG%20INR18650-25R.pdf

44S = 110-184.8V operating range if using the 0-100% range, which you don't want to do. You likely want to limit to 40-80% range. The INSIGHT will charge as high as 192V. I don't know what the HCH2 would do, but I expect it will go 10% higher since there are 10% more cells.

Good luck,

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2018, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply S Keith but its back to the drawing board for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default how about this different thoght?

how about if we use a different cell with lower mAh for lower cost purposes put them arrangement 43s40p the 43s would = 159.1v the 40p x 1.25 for charging = 50 amp. I would be using a battery that would be able to deliver continuous 10 amp my civic hybrid battery pack is a 158.4 volt pack it has 132 D cell in series. what do you think about that ? and what do you think about orion bms 72s split the battery pack in half with the safety switch.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

You're going to assemble 1700 cells? Not soldered, I hope. That's about 6 sqft of cells on end in a square grid with no cooling space.

Maybe just buy a lithium pack from a wrecked 2012+ Civic hybrid...
https://m.ebay.com/itm/2012-HONDA-CI...ic+hybrid.TRS0

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Another, even cheaper, option:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2013-2015-FOR....c100935.m2460

Voltage will be too high so you'll have to remove some cells.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

samwichse I really like the suggestions you made thank you..the honda battery I couldn't find any how meny cells or pack voltage or Amp hr per cell .
Ford C-Max Battery 38 Cells C-Max 5.5Ah Tested Cells single cells 3.7v Total battery rated at 1.4Kwh with 76 cells.
Tested at 5.5Ah from 4.2V to 2.75V.
100A continuous discharge.
150A peak discharge.
Cathode /Anode Material: LiMn2O4/Hard Carbon . but not sure how high is the charging limit on the these cells. If you have any info to add on these that would be awesome..
Old 07-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

EBay seller azlithium claims (for what it's worth):
4.2V = 100% SOC (Absolute MAX)
4.1V = 90% SOC (recommended max)
3.7V = 70% SOC
3.5V = 20% SOC (recommended min)
3V = 0% Soc
mmdepace is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid - Department of Energy Test: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...zrfjdS_zKILoTp
mmdepace is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

thank you mmdepace for the information but what kind of charge rate can be applied to these batteries I'm trying to build a pack that can handle 50A regen braking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in