Tire/Rim compatibility: 195/65/r15 on 99 civic rims - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tire/Rim compatibility: 195/65/r15 on 99 civic rims

Hey all,

Living in the Canadian prairies, I am hoping/trying to line up some winter grippers for the Insight. I have a friend off-loading some Bridgestone Blizzaks (195/65r15s) that were on his 2000 Accord, and I also have a set of 15s rims from 1999 civic. Bolt pattern matches, just wondering if this tire/rim combo would be compatible with my Insight? I'm thinking they would, or it would be close.

Anyone have experience with this size of tire before I go to the shop and pay them to mount and balance?
TheAvgBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you google rimsntires calculator and use the first link, that should help you out. I have a new account so I cant use a url. I have also been looking for some options and the website gives good info. The stock rims are 14x5.5 with a 45 offset and the tires are 165x65. Hope it helps!
dschultz103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the website recommendation, it was actually kind of cool to see how everything changes when you adjust a parameter. Also their tailored recommendations based off the comparison of two scenarios. The OEM wheels on my EX are 175/65r15. Sounds like they might work though.

Would still like to hear if anyone has any experience with tire rub etc at this size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your welcome! Also I noticed after I posted that this is on the gen 2 discussion, The tire and rim measurements are for the gen 1. Sorry about that. Like I said, new to the forum
dschultz103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm running 185 65 15's on the stock steelies ... no rubbing, clearance is fine and there's plenty of room in the wheel well for a bigger tire ... i recall other members running 195 60 15's without any problems too ... u should b alright its not radically larger

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

He is talking 195/65r15, not the 195/60s reported as ok around here.
You can just enter that tire size in the search here and see what comes up.
(I did, but only looked at a few hits)
I also Googled 60 vs 65 series tires and it says that the 65 series is 3.2% taller. It might be too much.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think you'll be fine but to get the full picture you really need to take into account the offset.

I'm running 195/R16 55R which is somewhat comparable to you. My offset is 48mm. My rim width was 6.5.

Use those online calculators and compare against stock rim/wheel combinations and you'll get a rough ballpark. Simple. Let's be real -- the wheel gap on the Insight is huge so you have a lot of play.

As long as you're not dropping your car, you'll have plenty of clearance.

These are my new rims with the specs above; zero rubbing:
https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...n-kit-too.html
maxim809 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cool thanks for the pics! And nice looking Insight. That provides a sense of how they look/fit. Seems not bad, especially comparing the dimensions. I might do it, just given the deal I can get on these tires and rims. I will post some pics if/when I do mount these things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in