Passenger air bag recall - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Passenger air bag recall

Had the driver side air bag done some time ago via recall. Just yesterday 11/17/2018 got the passenger side air bag recall in the mail. I am in MN/twin cities area. I use a magnabra still for long trips and don't have a mark on my car inside or out and am wondering what kind of damage (to interior?) I can expect from this recall? It looks like entirety of the dash will be have to be taken up with some kind of probably pry bar? Any info on how damaging this is to have done? I realize most may have had this done already but MN was for reasons unknown may have been exempt, until now. Worried as my car has very low miles and is like brand spanking new still but kept current.
Not happy family members riding in the passenger front seat were at risk all this time. I bought it new in late 2009.
joe-rocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I got the recall letter about two weeks ago here in Colorado. My daughter has had the car while away at college. I made an appointment for this Tuesday while she's home from school for the Thanksgiving break.

Service writer I talked too said it is a pretty quick process, he claimed an hour or so. I'd guess the service can't be too intrusive to car with that short repair time.

I'll report back after it's done.

2001 M/T 194K Silver, second daughter's car
2000 M/T 149K Red, wife's car
2010 EX 145K Metallic Gray, first daughter's car
tervic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Best to sign up for a replacement.
Damage and Causes Information: https://www.drive2.com/b/516584648663368550/
It took me half a year to wait for the dealer to replace both airbags.

The time for replacing the driver's airbag is 20 minutes, and the passenger is 45
minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telegram:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gms24ru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Thats some really detailed air bag information!

Here is the thing. I have a closet queen driven just enough to be kept perfect. We are talking collector quality 16K miles after almost 10 years and not a scratch on the outside. So when the driver side was done guess what they put a mark in my steering wheel to pry off the steering wheel located inflation component. Now i know its out there with stones flying and the dealers view is "there is an *** for every seat". At issue is its MN, its cold, colder than normal this early and looks to me like they have to take up a large part of the top of the dash. Plastic dash parts don't far well in the cold. I had an suv years ago, a Jeep, that interior cracked when it went to 20 below. Its not a small section either its like over three feet in length looking some kind of wide sliver of a dash cap that may be snaps into place. So what kind of care what kind of product/dash will I be left with? Sounds and looks like very intrusive thing that was never meant to be opened unless in an accident after the car left the manufacturer. I am dealing with not if I should have it done but should I just dump this car as she was my closet queen...you know keep her till she is so old and like new I am replacing only rubber parts and joining the club for ancient insight owners who meet once a year or something. I don't have high confidence in Honda doing this work without dash damage, given they already put a mark on my queen doing the steering wheel air bag. I asked any more like this in the car when that was done and they didn't answer, at all. Did I mention I been here in this forum since Cob joined and am the poster child of insight owner non-use and not a problem! But that doesn't mean the dealer is kind to her. Anybody get it done with zero damage afterward is what I need to know before I let her go under the knife vs. just sell the car privately and inform the owner oh hey...don't forget to do this recall ..or trade it in if I want to get near nothing for it.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey tervic interested in how it looked before and how it looked after, any damage after from the work?

2010 EX 16K Metallic Gray - mine (yes that millage is the real millage and not a typo and I love her she is my babe!)
Old 11-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

We dropped the car off around 12:30 and then left for some family fun time. I received a phone call from the dealer at 2:30 telling me the car was done. My daughter picked it up late day as I was headed into work. I haven't had a chance to look the car over. I'll post again later after I do.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I was able to look the car over today. No damage to the dash, everything fits as before. The dealership looked things over, gave it a clean bill of health and even washed the car!

Needless to say, I'm happy!

Dealership is Frontier Honda in Longmont, CO if any other Colorado residents are interested.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default thanks for that update

I will take it in then and hope for the best and report back on here my very detailed experiences getting this done. This will be done within the next two weeks, provided when I call they have the part.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

16,000 miles in 10 years for a hybrid? I'm surprised it works at all. I think you may be they only one who cares. This thing is practically worthless in today's market. Yours is pretty? With low miles? OK we'll give you an extra $300.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Still not a 20 foot car after the passenger recall work

OK so its practically worthless Kelly blue book 4 - 8.6K. And it works. I take a bus to work so it doesn't get drive much but isn't abused either.
TOOK IT IN YESTERDAY for the air bag recall. Took ~2.75 hours, The work is not bad I can tell where they pried up the about 2.5 foot long fish eye looking dash cap to do the work. This is apparently from the marks, what gets done. I think they did a good job given what they had to do: break some eggs to make the omlet of sorts. The minor marks there which some might not even notice reminds me the passenger air bag is done too now. There is no way they will do this without some marks in the dash or even a light scuff or two but an equitable trade off.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW if the other 4 air bags in the car also have Takata inflaters? I have asked but get no exact answer to that question. I have researched but can't exactly find this out. DOES ANYONE KNOW?
They called out my 12v engine battery as not great too but I knew that going in and its already replaced now; napa 65151R.
I give the dealer a B+ for this recall from a cosmetic damage to get it done point of view.
Go ahead and hate on me and rail on my limited use, doesn't matter; use it up and it works, don't use it much and it still works great and doesn't drive/handle like a toaster.
Other than the recalls highly reliable too, even if it's not loved by everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air bag recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in