tap into trunk battery ? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default tap into trunk battery ?

Anyone know if its possible to tap into the hybrid battery? i want to run my 2 dashcams off it rather than the car's small starter 12v battery.
Ali2627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2018, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali2627 View Post
Anyone know if its possible to tap into the hybrid battery? i want to run my 2 dashcams off it rather than the car's small starter 12v battery.
Almost anything is possible; however, there's no good reason to do so. Besides, when you're running them off 12V, and the engine is running, you're effectively running them via the HV system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I support the previous statement.
It is better not to get involved without the urgent need in a hybrid system.
With the car turned on, you already get 12V from the hybrid battery through a DC-DC converter.
If you need 12V with the car turned off, it is better to use a powerbank or another power source that gets a charge when you turn on the engine.

Telegram:

gms24ru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your dash cams are 144 volt?
rmay635703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you draw or add current when you key on it senses a false current and trips the IMA code, disabling its use until you reset it again (for which you need an OBDII device that can). So will any connection between the system and mass or the 12V system, even if there does not run a current as such. Don't ask me how I know. Also, 100 Volt of DC can be lethal, more so than a much higher AC voltage.

Even if you get around that, the hybrid battery uses 84 NiMH cells of 5.5 Ah capacity. But you can only practically use a part of this. It tries really hard to stay around 70-80% charged (or so it seems).

Whereas the 12V battery has 35 Ah capacity. Its voltage may be lower, but the total capacity (0.42 kWh) is almost as large as the hybrid batteries 0.6 kWh, and it will usually be fully charged after a drive. If it is any good, which often isn't the case. I have a solar battery tender for good reason.

Put short: Stay away from the hybrid battery if you 'just want to tap into it'. It doesn't work like that.

During AutoStop, the engine is not running. The hybrid battery then provides power to the DC-DC converter, which feeds the 12V system. So the voltage on that system during AutoStop is typically something like 13.84 Volt.
You are then effectively running off the hybrid battery even with the engine stalled.
(when you key on but do not actually start the car, the DC-DC converter is not activated and the 12V system voltage will slowly drop as its battery depletes)

Last edited by RedDevil; 11-19-2018 at 05:05 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
If you draw or add current when you key on it senses a false current and trips the IMA code, disabling its use until you reset it again (for which you need an OBDII device that can). So will any connection between the system and mass or the 12V system, even if there does not run a current as such. Don't ask me how I know. Also, 100 Volt of DC can be lethal, more so than a much higher AC voltage.
So, how do you know?

also want to add that high voltage DC is not compatible with switches, relays, fuses, circuit breakers, and the protective gaps between the high and low voltage sides of circuit boards, specified for 110/220VAC use, because of their dependence on the voltage going to zero every few tens of milliseconds to quench the arc that occurs when enough current is flowing when the circuit opens. Read: all the protective circuitry that's been designed over the years as a result of lessons written in blood, is rendered ineffective: circuit remains powered, shock, heat, fire, badness.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sean* View Post
So, how do you know?
Alright, because of this.
https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...-pack-ze2.html
I'm gearing up for a volt- and ammeter setup so I can actually see the voltage and current draw while driving. And a safe and sturdy structure to mount and connect the case that carries the batteries in the back to the harness and stuff. But times were tough and I'm only gradually getting in the flow again; I want no more broken promises, so I won't promise anything right now.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post

Even if you get around that, the hybrid battery uses 84 NiMH cells of 5.5 Ah capacity.
The IMA battery consists of NiMh D cells in "sticks". There are six cells to a stick. There are 20 sticks. That's 120 cells at 1.2V each for a total of 144 Volts DC. The capacity of the pack is 6.5 Ah. Here is the InsightCentral.net page that gives you all the info on the pack.
https://www.insightcentral.net/encyc...enbattery.html

My second Insight developed battery problems and I didn't like the idea of paying a couple grand for a replacement. So I took the battery out, charged and discharged the sticks several times. In my RC hobby batteries, I had already learned about this. It's called cycling the batteries and they came back to almost full capacity. You can also find pages from InsightCentral covering all sorts of ways to cycle and extend the life of your battery. Look around here, there's a wealth of information.

As for the original question about tapping the IMA battery... Not recommended. No benefit. Big danger. And by the way, the small 12V battery is the starter battery only when the IMA system fails. Primarily it runs the electronics of the car. I found this out when it went dead and the car would barely move. And the first time you hear the actual starter (there is one) it will grab your attention. You know something is wrong 'cause it sounds like .... a starter!

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-22-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added info
ama1437@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hmm. You are talking about a Gen 1 right? Because the batteries are different for a Gen 2. I got this quote from another thread.

Gen-1
144v @ 6.5Ah = 936wh

Gen-2
100.8v @ 5.75Ah = 579.6 wh

So I guess Red Devil's 84 cells would be right for a Gen 2.

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-22-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Typo
ama1437@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hmm. You are talking about a Gen 1 right? Because the batteries are different for a Gen 2. I got this quote from another thread.

Gen-1
144v @ 6.5Ah = 936wh

Gen-2
100.8v @ 5.75Ah = 579.6 wh

So I guess Red Devil's 84 cells would be right for a Gen 2.
Hey now, those first gen guys know everything! (except what forum section they are in)
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in